1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Trump needs to skip the rest of the GOP primary debates to give himself a little more room to morph into something that will be a bit more acceptable to folks in the general election. If the extreme positions he has taken to appeal to his segment of Republican primary voters are hardened by the fire of the debate spotlights, he will poll worse than Mitt Romney did in 2012.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Not likely.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The few yahoos in his crowds aren't rioting. They're responding to protesters. Shows a questionable lack if individual judgment, but Republicans don't mobilize to try and silence their opponents. Democrats do. If you go looking for trouble, don't whine when you find it.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I agree. His policies would be disastrous for a country as large and diverse as America. But it has been fun watching Grandpa make Grandma sweat.

old_tony likes this.
  5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not as much fun as watching George Will sweat.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I bet you completely believe this too, despite massive amounts of evidence to the contrary, including defunding Planned Parenthood, not allowing votes on the Senate floor, censoring school textbooks, etc. etc. It must be great to live in your world.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Funny, Obama gets protestors and he manages not to encourage his crowd to throw them out or punch them in the face. So far as that goes, I can't think of any other candidate who encourages the roughing up and beating of protestors. If you pump them full of fuel, you can't act surprised when they catch fire.

SFIND likes this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What I get out of that is that they must really, really hate Cruz personally and/or think he would be a terrible leader.

I doubt it's that he is too conservative for them. So for that, good on the GOP.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Lugnuts likes this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Really high tax rates on the wealthy has happened in U.S. history, however.

And it resulted in some really greedy robber barons leaving great legacies to this country in the form of gifts (such as libraries, parks and colleges) rather than giving the money to the IRS.

So that actually doesn't seem as nutty as -- say -- getting Mexico to build a wall for us.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Why should he appear? Regardless of whether it "shows confidence", I think skipping is plainly a smart strategic move knowing the focus of all (including the Fox moderators) would be squarely on trying to tear him down and create game-changing embarrassing moments for him. Why take the risk when you've already got this nearly insurmountable lead?

At this point, Trump can ease off the offensive and essentially go into a stall ball strategy, focus on minimizing risk and riding this momentum til the clock runs out.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't say he should appear. I just disagree with the premise of the tweet.

You're right, he's minimizing the risk and stalling until the clock runs out, not giving his opponents (including Fox News) a chance to tear him down. But that's not the action of someone who is so confident he's going to win. That's the tactic of a mid-major hoping it can hold off one more run by Duke.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yep, my people in Scandinavia don't seem to be suffering that much, but I don't think we're quite ready for social democracy here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.