1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight, are you excusing this behavior by pointing to other bad behavior?

Who said it's unique? Who said or implied this was the first time it's happened? I'm speaking about how far we have fallen. I haven't seen nor have I read about this much vitriol in a presidential election. I routinely point to the election of 1800, and how much hatred existed between Jefferson and Adams, but it was nothing like this. The election of 1860 was pretty bad, so bad half the country seceded from the country, but that was pale compared to this. That's just my opinion.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They didn't have broadband in 1800.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So one person sending a threatening letter is worse than the Civil War?

I don't get that. Did it come postage due?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And that 1800 election was a major contributing factor to a bleeping DUEL between the vice president of the United States and the former secretary of the Treasury.

Yes, things were a might worse back then.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

#rainmansmarts

6. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Have you not been watching the news? Why are you assuming I speaking about one person only? Threats were different during the Civil War. It's funny, when it comes to liberals and people carrying guns they go to argument is "it's going to be like the wild west" yet during that time we had a president who's security detail consisted of a couple of security guards. Yes he was shot and killed, but that's not the point, the point is the threat was no as imminent to require more than that up to that time. So yes, the Civil War, in and of itself was NOT a threat to the presidents life, so the answer to your question is yes.

If we're going to play this silly game, can you at least answer MY question before asking another?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is your question? I see a lot of question marks.

I think this is one of the craziest elections in our history. I think that's because one of the parties -- which not too many years ago was pretty much in lockstep -- is fracturing.

I don't think the country itself is in any worse shape than in many dark times in our history. We just have a crazy, crass presidential election going on.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If Lucretia Garfield had been able to obtain the sort of medical care she wanted for President Garfield, he would still be alive today.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

WTF??

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By any objective socioeconomic measurements, the country is better off than it has been for a decade. It's not a golden age, but it's not bad enough to justify hysteria. Slowly improving economy for most (of course not all), lower crime rates, fewer teen pregnancies, name the indicator and it's flashing green.
    It's hard to avoid the conclusion that what drives the hysteria is that large numbers of white people have lost their shit as they become a smaller section of the population, with Obama as the symbolic focus of their discontent.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No, no, no, no, no! Trump is Hitler! We're doooooomed!

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You are aware that Lincoln had to sneak into Washington on a different train prior to his inauguration because of fears that someone would take a shot at killing him, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.