1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Or what interstate means.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

David Brooks:

We expected Trump to fizzle because we were not socially intermingled with his supporters and did not listen carefully enough. For me, it’s a lesson that I have to change the way I do my job if I’m going to report accurately on this country.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We expected Trump to fizzle because we didn't realize there would be a traffic jam to be his replacement, causing enough vote-splitting to let his racist Dixiecrat plurality coalition give him crucial winner-take-all states.

The rush for the media to apologize for underestimating Trump is ridiculous. He wasn't underestimated. What was missed was the fluke path by which his small support was enough to win the nomination.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Job creators would step in and do it for profit, like they do for our bridges and interstate infrastruct... er, nm.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

6. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Many of you folks citing the useful things our federal government does -- and I am in no way arguing that they're not useful -- still haven't addressed our crushing debt load and what we do when we're no longer able to afford to fund even a significantly smaller national defense, much less all that other stuff.

Our current leaders -- and I'm blaming the clowns in both parties -- can't even agree on a budget that doesn't spend in any given year more than we receive in revenue.

Trump is by no means the answer to any of these problems. But it's not difficult to figure out why many people are so frustrated by what is happening in DC.

My only question is why it has taken so long.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great, tell the corporations and the One-Percenters to quit buying off Congress. Thanks.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Defining the debt load as "crushing" is debatable. Interest payments currently take up 6% of the national budget. It's certainly not stopping the economy from growing. In what way is it "crushing" anything?

9. Hokie_pokie

I'd prefer to term limit Congress so that nobody is there long enough to be sold to the highest bidder.

People were never meant to get rich by going to work in the legislature.

Time to restore the true meaning of public service and give these idiots some incentive to fix problems before they get sent home to find a real job.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'll go the opposite way - don't term limit congress. Remove term limit for president, too. If people want to keep electing the same person, well, that's democracy.

I'd consider term limiting supreme court, since they're not elected.

11. Hokie_pokie

Yeah, hoo boy, that economy sure is going great guns right now -- so much so that the local government I cover is quietly preparing for a possible recession either later this year or early 2017.

And the debt is "crushing" because there is literally no end in sight. It's projected to be $30 trillion by 2020, and that number will only continue to grow as long as our elected "leaders" govern from one continuing resolution to the next.

I've read some economists who think we can inflate away all this debt with no unintended consequences, and others who say if we don't get control of our debt and entitlement (SS/Medicare) spending, the federal government eventually will lose its ability to fund any discretionary programs.

I know which ones I believe.

12. Hokie_pokie

We're not a democracy. We're a representative republic. And too few Americans are paying enough attention to know that their representatives in Congress suck flaming-hot monkey balls.

The only way to wrest control of our government from the corporate overlords is to pass a national referendum on term limits.

No more getting rich on the public dime. Eight years and you're done. Go back to your day job if you're lucky enough to have one.

Maybe, just maybe, that would open the door for "regular" folk to have a say in their government again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.