1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

tbf, I certainly understand your discomfort and the feeling that you're just doing your job, but I am glad that many, myself included, are realizing how underappreciated you guys are. And we really do appreciate your risk and sacrifice.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Guesswork over science. Yeah, that figures.

All due respect to Moddy's question and your seemingly thoughtful answer, I have a very hard time imagining you doing anything but vote for whatever Republican is on the ballot for president.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Then again, you have a history of being wrong.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I post this in the hopes of educating, not belittling or being argumentative.

There have been at least five known ice ages over the millennia, the most recent one ending about 12,000 years ago. We know of these ice ages because of the amount of carbon dioxide that gets trapped in ice, measured in parts per million.

During a typical ice age, the concentration of CO2 is somewhere around 180 ppm. During the warmest periods (interglacial periods) of the last 500,000 years, the concentration of CO2 has topped out at 300 ppm. Until the Industrial Era began, that is. In the past 65 years, the global atmospheric CO2 concentration has spiked dramatically, surpassing 400 ppm.

So, while the global CO2 concentration remained steadily in a window of 120 ppm (between 180-300) over the past 500,000 years, it has risen 100 ppm HIGHER than ever recorded in just the last 65 years, a period that directly correlates with the massive growth of industry and burning of fossil fuels.

This graphic illustrates it nicely:
    [​IMG]

Also, while you note that it was a colder than normal winter last year, that's only the case in the northern U.S. and Canada. Global temperatures rose by an incredible .29 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the NOAA. Normally, global temperature rises are recorded in a couple hundredths of a degree, not a quarter of a degree. It was 1.62 degrees warmer in 2015 than the 20th Century average, and 15 of the 16 hottest years on record occurred in this century, according to NASA.

Make of that information what you will.

I Should Coco and Riptide like this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Stop with this particular nonsense (you've certainly got plenty of other options). You are no less of a partisan. At least o_t will respond thoughtfully to such a question. You're 0-for-sj when it comes to reasonable responses.

old_tony likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

#Science, fuck yeah, BigPern.

But that won't convince anyone because someone will bring a snowball to the Senate floor.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The atmospheric science debates are almost as good as budget policy debates.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Science is cool -- unless you're killing babies.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Especially when the science shows those fetuses aren't viable before 24 weeks.

12. Mr. Sunshine

What does biology say about stopping a beating heart?

Hokie_pokie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.