1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So the Republican front-runner Tweeted out this meme today:

[​IMG]

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You know that and I know that, but I still like reading Berniebros giving the Dumb and Dumber "So you're telling me there's a chance?" line.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It was a retweet!!

Don't you know the difference?

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

I talked to a partner here a little while ago who is a Republican.

He plans to vote for Hillary, if she's facing Trump.

He said he doesn't know anybody who is voting for Trump.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When she puts it up, please take a photo of her Hillary yard sign, and post it here.

6. Dick Whitman

I recognize that anecdotes are not data. But I have to imagine that it's a pretty common mindset among the Wall Street types, right?

How that translates to a general election, I'm not sure yet. The states she was already going to win, she'll win even bigger. New York. Illinois. California. D.C.

What I wonder is: What percentage of female voters are going to be able to vote for Trump. Romney lost females 59-44. Now you have an open misogynist running against potentially the first female president in U.S. history. What's the ceiling for Hillary on the woman vote? 70? 75? 80?

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

59-44? And you say there's no voter fraud...

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Perhaps more importantly, if he doesn't get his 1,237 delegates, they absolutely can't run him, right? Not after this. I've made a joke about "the end of Trump" for months now. But holy shit. He is openly threatening his opponent's wife, and following up by mocking her attractiveness. That is pretty uncharted territory.

If they can possibly take this away from him, then they can't run him.

9. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

My mom votes along religious right conservative lines and as far as I know has been voting strictly Republican (for national offices) for decades.

Talked to her last week and she is mortified by the possibility that Trump could be elected. Will vote for literally any Democrat over him.

So to have a chance in the general he'll need to pull more independents than he loses to that sentiment, which I don't think is limited to my mom.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They don't want to run him, but if he has the most delegates going into the convention, it'll be hard to avoid. One thing for sure, he's not a good loser.

11. Dick Whitman

Why, though?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because if he's close, and it appears he will be, giving the nomination to one of the two candidates who didn't get as many votes as him in the primaries will be ultra-bad optics and giving it to someone who didn't run at all simply unthinkable. Remember, most GOP primary voters already think the party leaders are selling them out. This would make that problem worse.
    In purely Machiavellian terms, the party leaders are better off letting Trump have the nomination if he's leading and letting the November chips fall where they may. It'll be easier to dismiss him as a one-off if he gets creamed. If they dump Trump and THEN lose, they will have made him their post-election leader by default. That's too big a risk to run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.