1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I hope that the GOP figures out some way to deny the nomination to Donald Trump, mainly because I don't really want to see all the lewd photos of Bill Clinton that have to be out there, somewhere.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You're leaving out something very important here: A large number of Trump voters are not Republicans.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Maybe they're not registered Republicans, although in Florida and other states they all were, but they are voters Republicans need in general elections if they are to win.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The freedom to insult women and call them pigs whenever one sees fit is, literally, one of the cornerstones of Trump's campaign.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I dunno. I think there's a chance Trump can do some *serious* damage to their brand in demographics they've been courting for decades and desperately need to regain parity in presidential elections (or if the courts ever stop gerrymandering). It's a tough call.

Do they risk pissing off the white men, a demographic that was going for them pretty well anyway, or do they fall even further behind with women and hispanics. Which loss is more easily recovered from?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If nothing else, because the delegates are going to want to go home at some point. And they can't do that until the majority of them have voted for one person. Is it going to be easier to convince 100 extra people to go to Trump at that point or 500 extra people to go to Cruz or 1250 extra people to go to someone the big shots try to draft?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

See:

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder if the GOP could use Trump's misogyny against him by proclaiming at their convention that his open hatred of women is beyond acceptable...they could have Carly (who at least was in the game a while) or Meg Whitman or some other GOP female "stalwart" lead the charge against him as "doing this for the sake of the party's women and its men who support them," block his nomination on those grounds alone, ease the pain of throwing out all the votes he received, then nominate a woman, and in one weekend help heal the scars of the Trumpectomy and simultaneously cut off Hillary's biggest supporting factor.

Edit: She would be perfect:

[​IMG]

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is no doubt that the GOP coming out of the convention with a nominee other than the leader in delegates would cause a serious rift in the party - particularly if the new nominee is one of the also rans or a past failed candidate, I do think the right person and the boatloads of PAC money could help heal the rift pretty quickly.
    I don't think the Koch's have spent a penny of the $900 million they have pledged to spend on the election this year.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Except they already used Condi as their designated scapegoat in the WMD evidence scandal. Rather than let any blame fall on Bush/Rummy/Cheney, they blamed it on the silly gullible Neegro woman (and also by some amazing coincidence on Colin Powell).

That follows perfectly the GOP's SOP with their designated Stepin Fetchits/ Uncle Toms:
    1, Elevate them quickly to a highly visible role spewing right wing talking points;
    2, Give them wide exposure and cite them as evidence: "See we have blacks in key party positions, so we can't be racist."
    3, Wait until they make some mistake or issue some embarrassing statement;
    4, Dig up some festering party scandal needing a fall guy or scapegoat and hang it on them. See what happens when you put "those people" in positions of authority?
    5, Allow them to shuffle quietly out of the spotlight and focus attention on the next trained minstrel dancer.

Pretty much the same pattern has repeated itself over and over. Condi, Powell, Michael Steele, Herman Cain, Allen Ford and most recently Carson; all have been quickly built up and just as quickly shoved off stage.

I can't think of any of the GOP designated black tokens who have ever been "rehabilitated" after they've been sent back to the kitchen.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's the right of every American. It's even in the Constitution! Why do you hate America?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Forget about rift in the party. How the hell do they propose to win a general election with their second, third or fourth choice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.