1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

We're making the Tout conversion as well. As soon as I heard it I immediately thought of WWE. We can gripe about how out of touch Vince is, but he's still four years ahead of newspaper execs.

schiezainc likes this.
  2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Tout essentially a shittier, less popular version of Vine?

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

It's the old 'Tastes pretty free to me." mentality.

4. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Just want to get this back to wrestling - now that both Macho and Warrior are in the Wrestling Hall of Fame, which retired wrestler/manager is most deserving?

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

We're talking just retired?
    If we're adding in dead folks, I think Owen and Rick Rude belong.
    If we're talking just retired, I'd say Vader, Honkey Tonk Man and Luger belong.

6. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, dead wrestlers can be included.

How about Demolition? Yes, I know they are not on good terms with Vince, either. But, I'd say they deserve to be in.

Agree with Vader and Luger - on the fence with Honkey Tonk Man.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is spot on. One other gripe. They haven't even announced who won the Warrior Courage award yet. That's how haphazard this whole build-up has been,

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Other Hall deservers in addition to those named: Bruiser Brody, Ivan Koloff, King Kong Bundy, Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express, the Rock N Roll Express,

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Among the less obvious choices, I've always thought Steve Lombardi was deserving. Long career and some memorable characters, plus a lot of backstage work, even if he was a jobber.
    Jim Johnson would be another. You could make the case the WWE wouldn't be what it is today without him.

As far as more distinguished wrestlers, I'd agree that Owen and Rude are probably the top two. Depending on how retired he actually is, The Rock is at the top of the list too.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

My additions that I didn't see mentioned:

Gary Hart
    Lou Thesz
    Steve Williams
    Vince McMahon
    Goldberg?
    Davey Boy Smith
    JBL
    The Great Muta
    The Steiner Brothers

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

JBL is a good one. Really surprised he's not in already, or didn't go in this year for the Texas Wrestlemania.

I think Vince McMahon has said he doesn't want to be in, because he supposedly views the Hall of Fame as an honor for the wrestlers only. It's the one (and seemingly only) area where he shies away from the spotlight.
    McMahon's attitude toward it makes me wonder if Triple H will ever go in. Obviously deserving for his in-ring career and he can go in whenever he finally shuts it down for good, but if VKM's ideas about the Hall have rubbed off on him he might take himself off the list.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Owens No. 1 for me but obviously that's up to his wife.

They're bound to put Jim neidhart in one of these years if he stays clean. Davey Boy at some point I think too. I wonder if they're chances are nil because of Owen. While we're talking Hart Foundation, Brian Pillman too.

Draft saved Draft deleted