1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Baron, etc.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh. So, you agree that the left would prefer to not define their position. (Cran excepted.)

Meanwhile, Hillary continues to bash Bernie for not taking Trump's comments regarding abortion seriously enough.

Hillary is emphasizing the abortion issue.

But, does anyone think she'll be asked to define and defend her position on it?

Hillary couldn't get through a friendly NPR interview without problems when she was asked about her changing position on gay marriage. Imagine if she was actually pressed on abortion in a way Republicans regularly are.

3. Dick Whitman

Ultimately, the answer - and it's not an answer you'll like - is that the left has done a very good job establishing the rhetoric around abortion. Of course there should be an exception for the health of the mother! Don't you care about women's health?!

4. YankeeFan

True.

Messaging matters. Depending on how the issue is framed, both sides in the abortion fight can claim to have majority support.

The left will always try to frame their side of an issue as the "compassionate" side. And, even when Republicans try to be compassionate, like by not jailing women who have abortions, the left is quick to point out the inconsistency in this position.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Indeed.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've been away for a while; have all you angry white men solved the abortion issue for America's women yet?

HanSenSE and Double Down like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

I guess if I had to define my abortion position, which I have struggled with for years (and taking the Constitution out of this for a moment):

1. Abortion before viability is morally wrong, but probably should not be illegal, because the idea that the non-viable embryo is "alive" is a philosophical and religious stance based upon what it may become, while science is more concerned with what it is;
    2. After viability, abortions should only be legally available to save the life of the mother. No rape, incest, or health of the mother exception;
    3. Women should be legally culpable in some way for undergoing abortions after viability.

8. Dick Whitman

Have women solved the issue for America's male fetuses?

old_tony likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

This is disingenuous.

I'm not trying to solve the issue.

The left likes to portray the right as EXTREME on the issue.

Maybe that's true, but what is the left's position on the matter? They prefer to be vague, and misleading. They pretend to support a ban on late term abortion, but if you dig a little deeper, you learn they support abortion on demand.

10. Dick Whitman

That's not completely accurate. Obama pretty clearly articulated his position.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The "viability" argument is just code for abdicating one of the most fundamental of parenting responsibilities.

12. YankeeFan

He did. I'm not sure he would ever support legislation that backed up his position, but he did state a position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.