1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The money agrees with you ...

[​IMG]

From the Iowa Electronic Markets ...

RickStain likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Brain-dead people have no chance at viability, so your comparison doesn't work.

3. doctorquant

Must. Not. Swing. At. Pitch.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like Hillary is about to get behind the South Carolina law anytime soon:

But it does not include sacrificing the woman's right to make decisions," Clinton explained.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You've based your argument upon the useless slogan "abortion stops a beating heart." And you've labeled people who stop beating hearts as murderers. I just wanted you to clarify your position about people who've had to decide to stop beating hearts because the brain, or another vital organ, is dead.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They'll be wrong. His strong run on the West Coast plus a win in Wisconsin means he might lose by only 150 delegates instead of 250, but he's still going to lose.

7. doctorquant

You really think it might be that close?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I see on teh Twitters that Wrestlemania is under way; has the leading GOP candidate reprised his role?

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  9. YankeeFan

LOL. I like that Dick does a better job of presenting your own argument, so you jump on his summation of it.

Here's the problem. It's a circular argument.

You say that absent any risk to the life or health of the mother, you are against abortion post viability.

OK. So, a woman 35 weeks along decides, for whatever reason, she no longer wants the child. But, she's in fine health, the pregnancy has gone well, and her life is in no danger.

So, Baron would tell her too bad, you're too late, you must carry the child to term.

Now, I can't imagine any woman being told she would have to carry to term a baby she would prefer to abort not suffering some emotional distress upon hearing the news.

Wait? What's that you say? Emotional distress? Oh. Well in that case, you can have the abortion!

There is no practical situation where Baron would not defer to the woman and her doctor.

And, if the potential for emotional distress is enough for Baron to no longer recognize a post viability fetus' right to life, then he really has no respect for that life.

Hell, you could just deliver the baby alive at that point, rather than kill it on the way out, if you gave a damn about the baby. Either way, it's no longer in the woman.

10. YankeeFan

"Church in Brooklyn," was a Hillary Clinton campaign appearance she was covering.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The woman does not decide whether her fetus is "viable"--it either is or it isn't--instead she simply decides whether she wants to keep it or not.

And it's funny how you do seem willing to take away her right to make that decision if the baby's at a stage where it has a 41 percent chance of survival, but not if it's 39 percent. Tell me, Baron, what exactly makes 40 percent the magic number where you've decided "viability" sets in? Why not, say, 30, 35 or 50 percent? You're just arbitrarily making up rules that don't exist.

That said, I agree with others that it's time to end the abortion talk. I'm sorry I got drawn in.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

In other meaningless news, my eventual decision in the upcoming presidential election will definitely not be impacted on the viability of fetuses.

And that is not because I'm intellectually incurious. It is because I can't stand people that define themselves by their stance on EITHER side of the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.