1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Nothing. You're best off trying to avoid both.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Jonathan Broxton

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"I'd swerve to avoid hitting a pothole."

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I feel like Joaquin Benoit has bounced in and out of closer roles in various places. I don't know if he qualifies as "great" as a setup man, but he was the first name that came to mind.

I think it's a little early to doubt Davis as a closer after the way he filled the role in the playoffs last year. His performance in Game 6 of the ALCS showed more than enough sack for me. That said, it's not accurate to say he was the closer for most of last year. Holland didn't go on the shelf until September.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Octavio Dotel is a guy who never seemed to make it when he put in the closer's role.

6. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Act like you’ve been there before.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He should be scrappier

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes. Unless things change it will only happen as a coincidence. The schedule is done before the playoffs get rolling. This was just luck of the draw. Good game last night.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Bummer about the Yankees getting snowed out. Cleveland looks like it's in jeopardy tonight, too.

And for anyone that suggests starting the season later, no. You can take advantage of a ton of people on spring break this week. And one year when I attended a Pirates game the second Sunday in April, it was 85 degrees.

Mother Nature's the unpredictable one.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Plus, it's better to deal with foul weather and postponements now than in October/November. If they were to start the season later, they'd have to reduce the number of games and we know that's not happening.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not too many people come to Boston for spring break. There are always going to have to be some openers played in northern parks because more teams are located there. But they ought to try and minimize them. The two Texas teams, the two Florida teams and the West Coast plus Arizona teams ought to have home stands the first week of the year against teams from the Northeast and Midwest.
    Or, as Floridian and noted cold weather hater Wade Boggs once asked on Opening Day, "why do we spend six weeks in 80 degree weather to practice for games that start in 35-degree weather?"

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A bit strange for both the White Sox and Cubs to start on the West Coast ... although maybe the weather will be better by Friday's opener on the South Side.

Missed seeing Frazier in the lineup in Arizona. Just make sure he doesn't always bring his kid to the clubhouse ... ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted