1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What the hell does that mean?

Anxiety is a real issue. Lot's of woman (people) suffer from it.

Having a baby you don't want would certainly make anyone suffer anxiety, and would exacerbate the condition for anyone who already suffers from it.

The question is whether or not that would be enough to qualify for a "health of the mother" exemption to a late term abortion ban.

Baron says that if the doctor says it is, then it is.

That means there is no standard. None.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't. Everyone may suffer anxiety. Everyone doesn't have a diagnosable anxiety condition, as defined in the DSM.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No health of the woman?

OK, 28 weeks pregnant woman. Doctor tells her she must abort, because of she gives birth, she'll go into a permanent coma, but will continue to live. Should she be forced to give birth? After all, she's not dying. She'll just be in a coma.

4. Baron Scicluna

Precisely.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But, you know, it really isn't that hard to get such a diagnosis. Someone determined to get that doctor's note is probably gonna find a way.

Which I think is basically the point YF has been endlessly digging toward: Any mental health exemption that includes anxiety and depression type disorders is broad enough to drive a truck through, and essentially opens the door to third trimester abortion on demand. And thus Baron's position de facto supports abortion on demand.

Did I summarize that accurately, YF? If so, let's move on.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Hokie_pokie likes this.
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

To tie this to one of YF's other favorite topics, I'm reminded of a great line from Jon Daly on Kroll Show, talking about how he got his medical marijuana card to deal with his issues of "anxiety, and my back hurts sometimes."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think so. I think that their disagreement is really on the margins: Baron thinks that his proposal would limit the number of late-term abortions. YF thinks it would not.

But I don't think it's fair to say that Baron wants abortion "on demand" in these situations. I think it's more fair to say that (and I don't necessarily agree with this) he's insufficiently skeptical of people's ability to receive a sham mental illness diagnosis.

Stoney likes this.
  8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Except that you don't want a psychiatrist involved, even when it's a "mental health" question. You just want us to take the woman and her abortionist's word for it.

9. old_tony

10. Baron Scicluna

OK, so let's say abortion is banned. You don't trust the doctor's word. How will anyone know if he's really performing abortions or "appendectomies?"

11. Baron Scicluna

See my response to Tony. If we have to be skeptical about the ability to receive a sham mental illness diagnosis, why aren't anti-abortionists skeptical that an abortion doctor wouldn't get around a ban by claiming they were performing a different procedure?

12. old_tony

Someone who would kill a baby would have no problem lying, too. We already knew that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.