1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She called an unborn fetus a "person" the other day.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Only because she repeated back the term that Chuck Todd used in his question.

That was a mistake on her part, and I suspect they will attempt to clean it up, based on the heat they are taking for it. (They've probably got a team of folks drafting a statement, and are poll testing it as we speak.)

She certainly didn't double down on the term: The Clinton campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...ized-for-referring-to-the-unborn-as-a-person/

3. Dick Whitman

I think that she is more informed than Trump and also more full of shit.

That cover it?

4. YankeeFan

Here's the conversation. Clinton did not plan to use the term. Todd used it, she repeated it. (He says unborn child, she says unborn person)

She also gives a misleading answer. She once again acts like she is for some restrictions, but ends up reiterating that the final decision is the mother's (the individual).

CHUCK TODD:

You know, also this week you were pretty tough on Donald Trump on one of his positions on abortion. He had five different positions that we've counted up this week on abortion. I want to ask you, what is yours? Give me your straightforward position on the issue of abortion.

HILLARY CLINTON:

My position is in line with Roe v. Wade, that women have a constitutional right to make these most intimate and personal and difficult decisions based on their conscience, their faith, their family, their doctor and that it is something that really goes to the core of privacy.

And I want to maintain that constitutional protection under Roe v. Wade. As you know, there is room for reasonable kinds of restrictions. After a certain point in time, I think the life, the health of the mother are clear. And those should be included even as one moves on in that pregnancy.

CHUCK TODD:

When or if--

HILLARY CLINTON:

So I've had the same position for many years.

CHUCK TODD:

When, or if, does an unborn child have constitutional rights?

HILLARY CLINTON:

Well, under our laws currently, that is not something that exists. The unborn person doesn't have constitutional rights. Now, that doesn't mean that we don't do everything we possibly can, in the vast majority of instances to, you know, help a mother who is carrying a child and wants to make sure that child will be healthy, to have appropriate medical support.

It doesn't mean that you don't do everything possible to try to fulfill your obligations. But it does not include sacrificing the woman's right to make decisions. And I think that's an important distinction, that under Roe v. Wade we've had enshrined under our Constitution.

CHUCK TODD:

You had said you think there is room for some restrictions. So is it fair to say that women don't always have a full right to choose?

HILLARY CLINTON:

Well, under Roe v. Wade that is the law. And as I said, I support the reasoning and the outcome in Roe v. Wade. So in the third trimester of pregnancy, there is room for looking at the life and the health of the mother. Now, most people, not all Republicans, not all conservatives even agree with the life of the mother. But most do.

Where the distinction comes in is the health of the mother. And when you have candidates running for president who say that there should be no exceptions, not for rape, not for incest, not for health, then I think you've gotten pretty extreme. And my view has always been this is a choice. It is not a mandate.

You know, I have traveled all over the world. I have seen what happens when governments make these decisions, whether it was forced sterilization, forced abortion in China, or force childbearing in communist Romania. So I don't think that we should be allowing the government to make decisions that really properly belong to the individual.

Meet the Press - April 3, 2016

5. YankeeFan

YES!

That was much easier than dealing with Baron. The entire board will be relieved.

6. Dick Whitman

Or shotglass. (See the Jimmy Rollins thread.)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Do I miss something? I was out taking a eye test.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

GET OUT! I hadn't heard.

:eek:

HC likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

She's not drunk, that's just what she is--an incoherent babbling mess. May John McCain never be allowed to forget that he brought that fraud to national prominence.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

YF-
    Of course you're right about HRC not standing for anything other than what she thinks the public wants to hear, but that means there's only so much damage she can do. That's what makes me confident that as much as I think she's answering to the constituency that's wrong about most things, and disagree with most principled positions she does take, I know what 4 years under her will look like. A lot like the last 8. I can live with that a lot more than Trump.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump now at less than 50 percent to win the nomination - if you believe the betting odds.

Election Betting Odds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.