1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

As they get to know her ... you know she's been out there for 25-plus years, right? I don't like Hillary, but if it's a choice between her and Trump/Cruz, umm. Yep.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As they focus on the election...

Either way, she drops in nearly every state as we get closer to the primary/caucus day, despite being a public figure for 25 years.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

She's the Democratic Jeb Bush. Too bad they couldn't find a credible candidate to run against her.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I would think that were the President to pull such a thing, Ryan would have ample room to maneuver. There's nothing in the Constitution that says Congress must pass -- or even consider -- any particular legislation.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The credible candidates who ran against Jeb! performed worse in the polls than he did.

And, unlike Jeb!, at least Hillary can go more than 24 hours at a time without shitting down her leg.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The point of calling back into session, which Truman did in 1948 and Ike did in 1960, is not to get legislation passed. It's to tie down the opposition candidate and demonstrate (in theory), the haplessness of the opposition if it controls Congress, as it does now and as it did for those two Presidents.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say "lost." I'd say it's a lot shakier than it was a month ago for him, but he's not out by any means.

If it really isn't Trump, I guess Ryan? It spares you the optics of giving it to someone who actually competed and lost badly (Kasich) and while he's not particularly competent, he's also not wildly offensive and won't torch their chances in future elections.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You need a majority of the members of the House to have a quorum and call a session into order. The GOP would simply order everybody to stay away; no quorum, no session, and Ryan could go do whatever he wanted.

They'd probably cook up some catchy radio-teevee and bumpersticker friendly slogan like "no n****er tells us what to do" to respond to Obama's directive.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Her top line isn't dropping by near as much as you are implying by the Sanders gains. There's usually large numbers of "undecideds" that had basically already decided they didn't like her and he hoovers them up. Dropping from a 35-point lead (55-25) to a 10-point lead (55-45) doesn't mean people liked you less.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Oh, an interesting exit poll question:

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Trump getting ass beat into the dirt.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.