1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why bother when the deck is so stacked for teams like the Royals?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No, oop. I am not surprised you didn't choose to announce that the Pirates locked up a young star (to an admittedly team-friendly contract).
    They won't miss Burnett. Happ was just a guy.
    I don't like Cervelli.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Happ? Important? Cute.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Look at how well he pitched for them last year. That you don't realize he was important to the Pirates in 2015 simply demonstrates your ignorance.

Was he likely to repeat that performance? No, not based on his history. Though do you even know why he pitched better than he had in the past? Did he make adjustments? Was it a fluke? Was it Ray Searage's magic pixie dust? No, you don't know.

The point is, he was very effective for them and they did not replace what he gave them from last season.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I simply do not get it.

Why can't you just write the first sentence and leave out the second?

I mean, god damn.

6. outofplace

Actually, I didn't see it until this morning and I didn't have time to dig into it. But hey, keep making things up. It's what I expect of you.

7. outofplace

Why don't you question how he posted? You think cute was a compliment? He posted from ignorance. I'm sorry if the truth bothers you.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's a career 4 ERA 1.36 WHIP.

9. Dick Whitman

Just make your argument. It's so much more effective than your nonsense. Just make your argument.

10. outofplace

Three winning seasons since 1992. No World Series championships since 1979. An outstanding front office created a window of opportunity and ownership keeps forcing them to cut costs.

11. outofplace

Again, look at what he did for the Pirates last season. They have to replace that. It was perfectly reasonable to look elsewhere, but their solution was to lose three starting pitchers, add one and hope their youngsters help soon enough to cover for the scrubs they have after Liriano and Cole.

12. Dick Whitman

This is a top five post in SJ.com history.

Five minutes after you lectured me about not mentioning Jimmy Rollins's stolen bases prominently enough, you note the Pirates' "three winning seasons since 1992," without also mentioning that THEY WERE THE MOST RECENT THREE SEASONS PLAYED.

old_tony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted