1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is called putting things in context. They had 22 years of losing before that. Also, it wasn't my entire argument, but you decided to pick and choose which things to quote. Even as you try to call me on such tactics, you use them yet again.

You didn't put Rollins stolen bases in context. You failed to mention them at all. That they are included in WAR does not cover it.

But please, tell us how you mentioned his stolen bases on another thread and then tell us how I haven't mentioned the Pirates' recent success on this thread. Oh, wait. I did mention it as part of why I consider their offseason an example of being cheap. They are a contender right now, yet they continue to pinch pennies in the offseason rather than adding key veterans to take their best possible shot at a World Series.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Has anyone mentioned Rollins' defense in 14 pages?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They were on the first post of the thread!

4. outofplace

As I pointed out above, I mentioned the Pirates' recent success within the last hour or so. Why is that acceptable for you and not for me?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Oop likes to play games with the facts.
    Not only three winning seasons since 1992.
    But the second-best record in the game since 2013.

6. outofplace

Except that I did bring up their success over the past three seasons a the reason why I disagree with their penny-pinching approach.

Is the goal to contend or to win a World Series? People brought up the example of the Royals, but they were 16th in the majors in payroll in 2015. The Pirates were 25th. I never said I expect a Pittsburgh team to spend with the the big markets, but is middle of the pack like the Royals reasonable?

7. 3_Octave_Fart

The building model the Pirates have used is working pretty well for them, I'd say.
    People are already copying their run-prevention tactics.
    Again, good team, easy to like/respect, and you don't.
    Typical Bloop.

old_tony likes this.
  8. outofplace

I have consistently praised the front office, the manager and the coaching staff. They have very smart baseball people doing amazing work in spite of cheap ownership.

Now at least we are clear that you simply didn't understand the point I'm making. I hope that clears it up for you.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL @ "point."

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Pirates look pretty ordinary on paper to me. They have a fighting chance, but by default I don't see them ahead of the Cubs, Mets, Nats, Dodgers or Giants, and that is five.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bochy again batting pitcher in No. 8 spot. And now back to continuing coverage of Rollins' Hall of Fame bid.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Are you out of your mind, dude?
    You haven't proved a damn thing or reached any point.
    All of your squawking is moot after they made a big commitment (for them) to a young talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted