1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A little slow there, fart boy. You might want to quote the post when you respond.

Fart, you thought I was criticizing the entire organization. You failed to realize that I have been praising the front office and coaches, but criticizing ownership. It's okay to admit you didn't understand my argument.

Making a commitment to Polanco does not make my point moot. It does nothing to offset an offseason in which the team got significantly weaker due to cost-cutting measures.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's OK to admit ... Bingo!

LongTimeListener likes this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You are commenting on sports you barely understand. The fuck are you to critique?
    I'm done with you tonight, little man.

4. outofplace

Can you extend that a little bit? You are more than welcome to be done with me a lot longer.

If the Pirates make some in-season moves to address the holes they created by an offseason of cost-cutting, that would be a positive change. That did not happen.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

I will converse with you because I love baseball and like the Pirates' way of doing business. But stick to baseball, buttnugget.
    The only way I see them topping 98 wins is if Nicasio, Luebke, Taillon or Glasnow contribute.
    But they've been lucky with guys like this in the past (Locke and Morton, who was practically out of baseball).
    If I am a Pirates fan I would rather roll the dice with pitchers they have developed than a Kazmir or Kennedy.
    Is that what you would have them spend money on?

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

In the non-never-ending pissing match division.... Matt Harvey might be the third-best pitcher for the Mets.

Syndergaard is filthy. If I'm the Mets, I try to lock him up way before Harvey, who wants to be a Yankee anyway.

7. outofplace

Less than 12 minutes does not qualify as longer.

Simple question, fart. Did the Pirates get better or worse since the end of last season?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They have a perfect record in 2016, so it seems like they're better.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

It's a loaded question.
    I don't like 1B and C for the Pirates.
    Those aren't positions you can just punt in a tough division.

10. outofplace

It is a relevant question. My argument has been that the Pirates' ownership is not giving the front office the support it needs to take advantage of the current window of opportunity. A small market organization that has built a contender should be adding a solid piece or two to try to push the team over the top rather than making the roster weaker through cost-cutting moves.

So tell me, isn't it fair to say they are a weaker team opening day than they were at the end of the 2015 season?

Cervelli is a relative weakness at catcher, but if he can match last season that isn't the worst decision. Bringing in Jaso to take on most of the playing time at first base? That is far shakier territory even if he is just a placeholder for Josh Bell.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

The Red Sox introduced a model in 2013 that worked for them, and is working for the Pirates. 2010 Giants did it also, to an extent.
    It is thus: Your starting nine don't need to be stars, but you can't have any black holes out there, either.
    In his playing career, Hurdle was a catcher who converted to first base. Others made the transition.
    One quick note- Pirates had a losing record in the division and kicked everyone else's ass.

12. outofplace

You still didn't answer my question. Did they get worse from the end of the 2015 season until now?

I'm not saying that Jaso can't convert to first base, but if you are going to justify Alvarez's departure by pointing to his terrible defense, shouldn't they replace him with somebody who is better with the glove rather than somebody who hasn't played there?

Draft saved Draft deleted