1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

bigpern has gone #fullbaron.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bernie's nonsense is hopeful!! (Let's not point out that it's nonsense.)

old_tony and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I bet Trump was a big fan of Bernie's rape fantasy period.

old_tony likes this.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Cruz has said he wants to eliminate the Department of Housing and Urban Development, as well as the Department of Education. Do you think a poor black voter should support this policy?

We have clear and convincing evidence in Louisiana and Kansas of what happens when the current GOP agenda is followed. Should a poor black voter who sees what happened there vote for a Democratic agenda or a Republican agenda? Should anyone who has seen at what happened there vote for a Democratic agenda or a Republican agenda?

5. YankeeFan

That MC didn't even give us a summary of the recent Libertarian debate is the surest sign that the transformation is complete.

Johnson vs. McAfee, and we didn't get anything out of him.

MisterCreosote and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You asked which part of the GOP agenda is "aimed" at helping poor blacks. But now you want to change the question to, "What part of the GOP agenda will help poor blacks?" and treat it like it's the same question.

These are completely different questions. You're conflating intent with results.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do think news orgs give more slack to underdogs early, if only to carry an election forward and keep reader interest. I think at this point though, you are seeing stories that suggest some news orgs are hoping for a breather ahead of the general election. Both parties figured their nominees would pretty much be in place by now, and I wouldn't be surprised if news orgs budgeted thinking so as well. Throw in a GOP convention that will actually have to be covered and not just used as a chance to drink, socialize and mock, and I don't envy the bean counters.

8. bigpern23

As I noted in my post, the media has not vigorously challenged Bernie on policy. Did you miss that part?

And, apparently you don't see the difference between a person speaking in idealistic platitudes, and another spouting racist, xenophobic and sexist rhetoric at every stop.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not a good enough reason not to challenge Sanders on policy. Trump isn't just being challenged on his rhetoric about race and religion and gender. He's being challenged on whether his policies, even the non-controversial ones, will work, and why he thinks they will.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. bigpern23

OK, aimed was a poor word choice. What YF is suggesting is that poor blacks would be better served voting for the GOP than Democrats because the Democrats haven't helped them in 50 years (which, of course, is patently false, but whatever). So what part of the GOP agenda will help poor blacks?

11. YankeeFan

Whether they support it or not has nothing to do with whether or not it will help or hurt them.

That's sort of the point.

A simplistic view of it is that changing any (failed) policy aimed at helping poor African-Americans will end up hurting them.

You're looking at two examples, that have barely had time to play out. And, to the degree that they hurt anyone, it was not race specific.

I could point out to you examples from New York, New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Newark, etc.

There are lots of examples of failed Democratic policies designed to help poor African-Americans.

In fact, if we do look at New York City, I think we will see that Rudy Giuliani's policies did much more to help poor African-Americans than David Dinkins, or other Dem politicians.

Have the Chicago neighborhoods where Barack Obama worked as a community organizer 30 years ago improved at all? Have they ever been governed by anything other than Democratic Party policies?

Hokie_pokie and old_tony like this.
  12. bigpern23

Again, I agreed he hasn't been challenged vigorously enough on policy. This is the third time I've said it. I said to YF the first time that I didn't disagree with him.

Trump is being challenged on everything because he's either been offensive, vague, wrong or lying on everything he has said. He's drawn greater scrutiny because of the way he's campaigned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.