1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

fart - obviously the actual games will matter more, but does it influence you to know that most of the projection models have the Pirates taking a pretty big step back this year and out of the playoffs?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. 3_Octave_Fart

I'll bet anybody here 50 bucks they win 88-94 games and get into the playoffs.
    I have challenged oop to these moneyed bets before, he won't put his balls on the table.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Won't see me taking that bet. I think they're on the verge of the next step.

Don't be surprised if David Freese isn't an upgrade on Neil Walker, one for one, in that lineup. And Kang's return should make it even stronger.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did I miss something that was deleted or has middling become an offensive word?

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He's allergic to pissing contests -- mine, yours and the middling masses.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Happ himself was a replacement in the Pirates rotation. If they can get that type of performance out of a career average pitcher, why not think they can do it again?

Jaso'd been a productive hitter his entire career. If Alvarez hadn't been the Pirates incumbent, would you have wanted him over Jaso?

Same with Walker; decent player, no star, not even LaRochian. If not a Pirate already and Pittsburgh native, would prople want Pittsburgh to add him?

Pirates are fine.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute ...

They should expect a sub-2.00 ERA over the course of 31-33 starts from a Happ-like pitcher?

10. 3_Octave_Fart

I think Freese was a great add.
    They could have gone the international route, but that comes with the kind of cost/risk they don't like.
    And I am happy as piss I have not heard Adam LaRoche's name nor his son's in more than a week.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People are forgetting something about the Pirates, which is how damn healthy they've stayed over the last three years. I think that the Royals have been the healthiest team in the majors, but the Pirates have been really close, if I'm not mistaken.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They should expect to be able to easily replace Happ, just as Happ easily replaced whoever he replaced. Doubt he will pitch quite that well, but Happ's stupendousness was unexpected, so who knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted