1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I mean, you know Bobby Jindal inherited a $1B surplus and left the state facing a $1.6B deficit when he left office, right? That's got nothing to do with Democrats of the last 100 years or the current governor. That's what he did in his time as governor of Louisiana by cutting state income tax on the wealthy, causing an $800M shortfall per year, and enacting tax breaks for businesses that have cost the state $200M more than it has taken in from them.

Education spending was cut by 80 percent, hospitals will receive $64M less this year, the state can no longer afford public defenders for all of its criminal defendants, Child Services has cut its staff by 33 percent and may not be able to investigate all claims of child abuse. By any objective measure, Jindal was a complete disaster as governor of Louisiana.

But, please, tell me more about how the Democrats have destroyed Louisiana. I'm all ears.

Riptide and HanSenSE like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's not an argument for the success of Dem policies.

You should also be careful about reading too much into inherited surpluses as well. It's really easy, and really common for governors, mayors and county executives (of both parties) to execute (labor) contracts where the pain kicks in when they are out of office.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Tell me where all the mess is. The big cities, right? Funny how that works.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They fire anybody who writes a story or a headline they don't like.

5. RevPastor

RevPastor Member

If it is a proven fact that the GOP agenda does not help poor blacks (or really anyone but the super wealthy and even they are kind of screwed in the long term) can someone really make the claim that their "aim" is to help anyone by enacting their policies?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I always love the occasional debates around here about how decisions are made in newsrooms. Sports journalists, in general, have no clue about the process.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Has that been proven?

Where have GOP policies been unilaterally enacted?

8. Mr. Sunshine

It has been proven that Democrat policies do not help blacks.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Late to this one. Have we discussed Gov. Brownback's terrific GOP experiment in Kansas yet?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Also, the more recent phenomenon of using stimulus money not to stimulate the economy, but to plug massive, existing budget holes with a temporary windfall. See former Pa. Gov. Ed Rendell for an example.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

In defense of the Dems, they've barely had more than five decades.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Hokie_pokie likes this.
  12. RevPastor

RevPastor Member

At least they made beer with the barley...

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.