1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Break up the Mariners ... they rally for five runs in the ninth inning to take the game, and series, in Texas.

Seattle has nine HRs in the first three games, four by Cano. Maybe he'll stay healthy and hit for power again this season.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So out of Cubs, Giants, Nats, Mets and Dodgers, who are the Pirates keeping out?

Giants, I guess?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

#evenyear

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

End of Rays-Jays game a joke, a f'n joke. The White Sox should bring back the softball shorts, pretty soon there will be no sliding.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny how I get complaints for adding the confrontational stuff instead of just making my point, but the same folks who whine about that ignore this kind of post. And y'all wonder why I don't take those complaints seriously.

I've done nothing but approach this rationally, fart boy. I have been far more respectful in my approach than you all through this discussion. You are the one who has made it personal. You are the one who started this because you thought you had a gotcha moment and clearly did not. You STILL won't answer a simple question. On paper, are the Pirates better or worse right now than they were at the end of the 2015 season? Of course, anybody who sees the team clearly knows they are worse, but if you disagree, that's fine. But why avoid the question except to avoid agreeing with my point, that they were made weaker by a series of cost-cutting moves this past offseason?

I see the big picture just fine. I see a team that has a shot to contend, but chose to weaken the major league roster with cost-cutting moves this offseason.

I never said they should be in on Cueto or Kennedy. Cueto was out of their price range and Kennedy isn't particularly good. But a mid-level guy like Chen or Leake would have made sense. Maybe sign one of them instead of trading away Walker for Niese rather than weakening the team in the lineup, bullpen and rotation.

Also, you have failed to grasp my point with Happ. That is your mistake, not mine. I never said they should have kept him. I said he was an important part of the team last year. I never said I expected him to repeat what he did for the Pirates last year. I said the team needed to replace that production. I'm not sure why you are having such trouble with that concept.

I get it, fart. You thought you had a gotcha moment and you just can't let it go, but it's time. Please just be honest with yourself and the rest of us for once. Thank you.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This from the guy who refused to answer my question for multiple pages. At least you finally did so. You have them winning fewer games than last season, so they got worse. Thank you for finally admitting it.

Let's make this clear since you insist on pushing the point. I won't get into the details because it was a PM conversation, but you promised to do something if a given situation was resolved in a certain manner. When things did not go your way, you failed to keep your word. You backed out. In other words, you have shown me that you will not pay up if you lose. I don't like to gamble anyway, but no way I would do so with somebody who has proven he won't pay up if he loses.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I am not answering your question because it's a stupid one.
    Teams are fluid and built to compete under their own sets of challenges and circumstances.
    This isn't the Red Sox where you can go out and make terrible signings over a span of years and fix them with a few more pen strokes.

I expect the Cubs to regress.
    The Giants are tough and aren't going to 2-1 a bunch of teams like in the past, they'll just rake.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We're worried about "88 to 94" being WORSE.

Devolution cha-cha-cha!

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Bingo!

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I struggle to understand why someone would want to make their online sports talk place a site populated exclusively by liars, misleaders, hyperbolizers, and other assorted peddlers of dishonesty.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We so bad, aren't we.

LOLs.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jon Niese career ERA = 3.92, 94 ERA+
    JA Happ career ERA = 4.13, 96 ERA+

Happ's been replaced just fine. If Niese is his replacement. Could be Nicasio.

Draft saved Draft deleted