1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But that's not the Happ he's replacing. He's replacing the one who was Walter Johnson for two months.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

NFL schedule release show can't come soon enough.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So? If Happ came back he wouldn't have been Walter Johnson for any more months.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Isn't the argument whether the Pirates will be better or worse than last year?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of wish the Royals started throwing at people again.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

TSP, again, you missed the point. The Pirates got a certain level of production out of Happ last year. Whether he could ever pitch like that again is not relevant. What is relevant is that they somehow need to replace what he was last year for this team.

Also, they didn't just lose Happ from the rotation. They also lost Burnett. Niese isn't terrible as a replacement for one of them, but what about the other? And Niese cost them Neil Walker, a downgrade to the offense and the defense.

7. outofplace

This is a discussion of the my comments regarding the Pirates being cheap. That they got worse due to their moves and losses this offseason is clearly relevant. Just because you don't like the answer does not make it a stupid question.

You act as if the Pirates can't spend a little more money. They can. It is what the Royals did. Yes, they won a World Series last year. They were 16th in the majors in payroll when they did it.

8. outofplace

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Quick, DeAngelo Williams is on Sportscenter!

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So if they win 90 games and win the World Series, it will be a worse season than last year?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

By the way, I watched that Bautista play at second from last night's game and it was definitely called correctly. In fact, the way he reaches out and grabs the foot, he should have been out under the old rules. Blatant interference.

12. outofplace

Of course not. All I'm saying is ownership held kept them from having the best possible chance to have that kind of success this year. If I didn't think they were contenders, I wouldn't be arguing that they should be adding final pieces to the puzzle.

Draft saved Draft deleted