1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, that happens all the time.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't bet on it, silly boy; I was on newsside for about a decade or so overall and I know EXACTLY how it is done. There may be some pristine newsrooms somewhere where the flame of editorial independence burns bright, but in the real world most of us really live in, Mr. Publisher and his higher-ups on the corporate food chain are rarely shy about letting it be known how they want things done. When the big boys bark, you jump, or you're gone.

You bet your ass it does. Hell, at most papers they are laying off people about as fast as they can shit them out the doors; writing stories the corporate honchos don't like is as good a reason as anything else they can think up (if they bother thinking up a reason at all).

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

OK, I stand corrected. Some news siders are equally clueless.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Certainly not as much as coffee machine servicers.

(Sorry. Hanging curveball.)

doctorquant and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, this happened where you work, and you didn't quit in protest?

I didn't think you'd put up with that kind of thing.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I didn't have Mommy and Daddy available to slip me $20,000 while I made my grand stand for principle.

7. YankeeFan

Shots fired:

8. YankeeFan

LOL. What did mommy and daddy do for a living again?

9. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Hillary's ass is feelin' the Bern!

dixiehack likes this.
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nice fucking lie.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, but it is an argument against the alternative. You question the intelligence of poor black voters for supporting Democrats and the Democratic agenda for the past 50 years. If their alternative is to support the GOP policies, such as the ones that have been enacted in Kansas and Louisiana which the GOP would like to see instituted at the national level, shouldn't they look at how those policies have affected those states?

You make a good point about inherited surpluses and it's something people should be careful of on a general basis. But in this specific instance, Jindal's reduction of the state income tax on its wealthiest earners cost the state $800M per year, and his tax breaks for businesses cost the state $200M more than it created in revenue. His proactive policy changes are what led to the deficit, not inherited bad labor contracts.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's statewide, Tony. The state government has a $1.6B deficit. Statewide education funding has been slashed 80 percent. State funding to hospitals has been cut by $84M. State funding for child and family services has led to a workforce reduction of 33 percent.

These numbers are not based in municipalities. The mayor of New Orleans did not enact a policy to cut the state income tax and the mayor of Baton Rouge didn't create statewide tax breaks for businesses.

You're a smart guy, Tony. As dyed-in-the-wool red as you are, even you have to admit Jindal failed Louisiana (and, to a similar extent, Brownback failed Kansas).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.