1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Certainly.

Have I ever lectured anyone about how they should just pull themselves up from their bootstraps while I was getting help myself? No.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're right, he has put personal stuff out there (as I have) and it is entirely fair game to use that information to interpret/criticize any argument he makes. I have no problem with that, nor does he (I think).

It's this particular dig that irritates me to no end. It's nonsense. If the amount had been some huge amount, sure, have at it. But twenty fucking thousand dollars? Are you kidding me?

Hokie_pokie and old_tony like this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Thinking 20k is no big deal isn't helping your case

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They don't know who we are until their kids starr playing freshman ootball or need tickets to a big game.

5. Baron Scicluna

It's not that he was getting the loan. It's that, until he had told everyone about it, that he was acting like he had built his business by himself, and that anyone else could do so too.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

EVERYONE gets help to varying degrees. Everyone. It's what you make of the help that makes the difference between "bootstraps" and, well, someone like you. "Bootstraps" is just another word for responsibility. Regardless of any help an individual gets, it's their responsibility to make the right choices and not waste the money/opportunities they're given.

7. doctorquant

It's not a big deal when you think about all of the shit that every member of the board (virtually) has received in parental support.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Your lack of understanding of how the world works continues to astound me. How do you think any business is built?

9. doctorquant

I'll step back from this because it's my thread-jack. But @Starman ... That "$20K from your parents" shit is weak sauce, man, weak sauce.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So, Louisiana received $3.4B in federal stimulus, including $587M pegged for education, and Jindal still turned a $1B surplus into a $1.6B deficit, and slashed education spending by 80 percent? Wow. That's even worse than I thought. Thanks for supporting my argument.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  11. Baron Scicluna

Again. It's not about getting the help. It's about misrepresenting yourself by claiming you've did it all yourself.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Nobody ever claimed that -- outside of the fantasy land you live in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.