1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The chief of photography in my last shop was an orphan. He got no help.

There are kids in the streets right now getting no help. They're just looking for food, trying to survive another day.

Everyone is not everyone.

RickStain and HC like this.
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You might want to do some research on baseline budgeting.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Most Democrat voters think it's small change compared to what they pull in via government checks.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

So the orphan never got any help from anybody ever in his life? Even to this day?

And while there are certainly people in dire situations for whom help is ultimately a pipe dream, the debate here is over the idea that getting help makes one unqualified to talk about responsibility. That's ludicrous. ALMOST EVERYONE gets help of some kind from a variety of sources. NO ONE just becomes an adult and automatically buys a house, provides for his/her family, starts/grows a business, etc. People live and learn. Well, most people learn. Should a parent not teach his children to be responsible because his/her parents helped him start a business or gave him/her money for a down payment? If everyone who ever got help ceded the authority to speak on what they feel is important in their lives/life in general, then this country/world would be in even worse shape than it is. We'd be a bunch of self-absorbed nitwits who didn't understand/value the support of others.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, it's awful, but is that something you put on a particular party's plan or is that just Louisiana finding ways to fuck things up?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sunshine, switch a couple of names/words and that would be an eloquent takedown of people who criticize Warren Buffett's take on taxes (he should give away all his money first!) or Al Gore on the environment (private jets!).

7. Mr. Sunshine

Warren Buffet is a wonderful, wonderful man and beautiful human being.

Anyway, are you saying that you agree with baron that getting help precludes one from ever talking about responsibility?

That would make parenting is a little easier throughout childhood.

8. LongTimeListener

I'm not saying that. I'm in full agreement with doctorquant here. But the amount of similar arguments from the right -- another being "if Obama doesn't want guns around, he should disband the Secret Service!" -- sound very similar in tone to what you wrote.

9. Mr. Sunshine

So you agree with me. Got it.

10. LongTimeListener

Sure, on this topic.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I were to go around and say, "yeah, I worked super hard and I own my house," and then it came out that I had a huge mortgage, the credibility of my first statement would be considerably weakened.

It comes down to credibility. At the risk of another threadjack, look at the Duggars. They preached responsibility, among other things. Turns out, some of them weren't so responsible. Their credibility in lecturing others on a variety of topics went up in smoke.

12. LongTimeListener

OH MY GOD.

Baron, that's how people own houses!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.