1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"Yeah, I'd like to buy a house."

"How much are you looking to pay?"

"$200/month."

"Get the fuck out of my office."

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not when it comes to politics he isn't. And I'm not even talking about the content of his opinions, but the vapid, childish non-logic he uses to support them. He has demonstrated no capacity for critical thought in this area and to pretend otherwise is a sham.

Stoney likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No shit. But in my first hypothetical statement, I'm not saying that. All I would be saying is that I worked hard and owned my house. As in hard work is the only requirement to own a house. Which is misleading.

Now, if I say, "I worked hard, saved some money, got a mortgage and am paying it down until I fully own the house," that wouldn't be a misleading statement. It would be understood by everyone.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd bet on the latter.

I have an acquaintance at LSU-Shreveport whom I've seen at a conference every year for close to 20 years. Their budget's always been fucked.

5. Baron Scicluna

Well, not in Detroit.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hmmmm ... Things I've heard approximately a million times: "we bought a house!"

Things I've never heard: "We secured a loan that puts us on a path toward home ownership that will be complete in 30 years!"

7. doctorquant

I worked hard and earned tenure. But my parents let me live at home rent-free for a while after I got out of journalism, so I really can't take credit for that tenure thing.

8. Baron Scicluna

"Do you own your home?"

"Well, kinda, technically the bank still owns it."

I've given that answer many times. I usually get a chuckle from the questioner.

9. doctorquant

Indeed it is.

10. Baron Scicluna

Wouldn't you agree, though, that the guy next to you that is paying their own rent/mortgage while working hard and earning tenure has more credibility than you do?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I almost want to continue to see how far you'll go with this, Baron, but I think we have all we need.

Seriously, though, to the point: dq is very correct in that parental help for college is the same thing as parental help for a business. We've all heard and believe college is an investment in the future. So was YF's parents' loan.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is dumb even by prevailing standards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.