1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Baron's dim-bulbness can't possibly be news to you.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sez the guy who doesn't believe newspaper owners will fire employees for putting out content that they don't approve.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm guessing your parents kicked you out on your 18th birthday. And the average IQ in their house went up 33% on that day.

4. Baron Scicluna

Nope, they helped me. The difference, though, is that I've never told others who can't make it through college that they're failures because they didn't work hard enough.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It was pretty tough. Over those 22 years I got married, fathered three children and took two graduate degrees (one a PhD). Doing all that in my parents' spare bedroom was quite a challenge.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not BTExpress!

LongTimeListener and JC like this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Well, look at it this way. It built character.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hillary Clinton talking to the press. Two back-to-back questions:

Did you watch the Yankee game last night?

How does it feel to be campaigning in the Bronx?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A real journalist would have led with Vince Foster.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Bernie was tripped up, in part, because he was unable to describe how he would go about implementing his specific policy proposals.

How about, instead of asking her about the Yankees, or asking her to simply respond to Bernie, we ask her similar questions.

She said Bernie hasn't done his homework. Let's see if Hillary has done her homework.

12. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

This is really weird, but the longer the race goes, the more Bernie has grown on me with his refusal to just sit back and let HRC cruise to the finish line.

I think if more Dems were willing to truly look past HRC's fame and really study the candidates' records/platforms, Bernie would be doing even better than he is.

His antiwar position gives him moral high ground to rip HRC on the continuing disaster that is Iraq. His argument against income inequality is especially effective given her ties to Wall Street. He's also been surprisingly effective in pounding her for the ill effects of free trade on domestic jobs.

I read an analysis of his tax plan this morning, and while I'm certainly not predisposed to support massive tax increases, I was somewhat surprised to see that Bernie has a detailed, specific plan drawn up to pay for single-payer health care, firming up SS/Medicare and replacing our aging infrastructure, among other initiatives.

Much of what he has proposed has been dismissed in the media as pie in the sky nonsense that could never be accomplished, but his tax plan isn't really that radical.

Even with all the surtaxes and other stuff rolled in, the top marginal rate would be 52 percent -- well below the 70 percent threshold under Carter.

I know tax policy will never get covered effectively by a modern press that needs big personalities, controversy and scandals to draw clicks and viewers, but it's not nearly as "crazy" a plan as I originally expected.

I'm sure others will disagree, but if the Dems hadn't jury-rigged this nomination process for HRC with the super-delegates, it would feel much less a fait accompli and he could be building on the momentum of winning 7 of the last 8 contests. He's a much more effective candidate than I ever could've imagined.

HanSenSE and I Should Coco like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.