1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Doc, I'm nowhere near smart enough to argue this stuff with you, even if I was so inclined -- which as I noted, I'm not.

I just thought it was interesting, given the tenor of the "Crazy Uncle Bernie" coverage, that Sanders actually has a detailed, specific plan to pay for the massive expansion of the federal government he so clearly desires.

The media doesn't take him seriously, and I think that's a shame.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Ted Cruz is still running.

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The notion Democrats have jerry-rigged the process just for Hillary is laughable. You might not like super-delegates, but if Sanders does somehow edge her in pledged delegates, he'll get the superdelegates.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes. Do you have a point you'd like to make?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's really a repeat of 2008.

Hillary won some states in blowouts, garnering all of those states delegates.

Bernie's wins, even in big states, aren't enough, because he doesn't win them by enough. With proportional assignment of delegates, he can't gain enough ground.

But, let's be honest. She's limping to the finish line. She's lost 6 of the last 7 contests. And, her campaign keeps pretending these losses were expected. They weren't. She was supposed to win Michigan and Wisconsin. Only in the final weeks of each campaign did Bernie pull ahead of her.

Even now, in New York, her lead is falling.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep. The superdelegates exist for two reasons:

1. A media manipulation mechanism. They want the media to report the overall delegate count, feeding the public idea that the chosen candidate is inevitable;

2. As a firewall against a Trump-like takeover. Or late-breaking live girl/dead boy/sending-a-New-York-Times-story-over-your-Gmail account type of situation.

7. YankeeFan

Clinton continues to try and make hay off of Bernie's NYDN interview.

There is no excuse for the media to refuse to hold her to a similar standard. Demand specifics from Hillary.

8. YankeeFan

But, Hammond is right. It would be hard to imagine super delegates thwarting the will of the people. They're mostly elected officials after all (or elected to party posts).

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Correct. I'm agreeing with him.

10. YankeeFan

Bernie, in New York, references subway tokens. Clinton campaign and media laugh it up, try to portray him as out of touch, since NYC hasn't used tokens in years.

Today, Clinton rides the subway, like a real New Yorker, and can't get her MetroCard to work the first couple of tries:

Boy, I'll bet she gets mocked for that, right?

Nope!

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Michigan isn't in the last 7.

You are right, though, it is a repeat of 2008. Obama continued to lose states to Clinton, usually the liberal ones, after it was clear he was going to win the nomination. And we saw how much it showed his weakness for the general.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The 70% tax under Carter was just a number. It didn't reflect what people paid in income taxes because of deductibles and tax avoidance. Reagan lowered the tax rates while limiting deductibles and tax breaks. You cannot compare Bernie's number to Carter's number without accounting for tax breaks and deductibles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.