1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm going to raise this not as a hopeful hypothetical but merely because I'm curious about what the board thinks ...

I've been floored more than once this primary season. Like many I have waited seemingly in vain for the inevitable crash of Der Trumpenfuhrer, and I remain astounded that Sanders continues to do as well as he does. It's almost as if "the rules" don't apply ... which leads me to this question:

Why is it that so many, particularly Democrats, believe that "the rules" are going to go back in effect once we get to the general election?

old_tony likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, there have been plenty of days.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

She had three full-tuition offers and another two full-tuition, room-and-board offers. All very good schools. No regrets, though. The way I see it, she's the best investment I ever made.

4. Baron Scicluna

I'm sure you won't mind your daughter forgetting to thank you when she makes her Hall of Fame speech.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Obama is going to get credit for anything my daughter accomplishes, since he's paying for her medical care.

Thanks Obama!

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That is an awfully loaded question. Clinton is winning by roughly 10 points. Her being polarizing enough to have a challenger pick up the remaining 45% isn't some groundbreaking phenomenon no one ever considered. She will never be a widely beloved figure, but her coalition is enough to win elections.

Trump is still Tebow. The experts said he had a limited skill set that would sink him probably sooner than later. The fact that the weirdness of the multicandidate scrum to be there when he lost made the "probably sooner than later" part of the equation hit on the less probable side doesn't invalidate the expert's ability to evaluate probability. Exactly as predicted, Trump has struggled to pick up any extra voters as others dropped out.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know that "the rules" will hold up, but in a two-person race, where one of the candidates can't get more than a third of support even from within his own party, the math will win out.

This is particularly true if it's Trump and the overwhelming numbers regarding women voters come into play.

8. Baron Scicluna

From 2010:

From the guy who got a $20K loan from his parents.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

#StopTheDigs

Songbird likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

Let's be clear, she's going to win because she had 100% name recognition with poor African-American voters in Southern states, where she won overwhelmingly, and which vaulted her to her insurmountable lead.

These aren't voters who love her, or who chose her over Bernie.

She got their vote because she was famous, just as Trump has gotten many votes for the same reason. (Right, @Dick Whitman?)

11. YankeeFan

Baron, I'm happy to go over this with you again, if you really feel it's necessary.

But, suffice to say, I stand by that comment.

If you have a good idea, talent, and a track record of achievement, raising money won't be an impediment to opening a business.

12. Baron Scicluna

Well, if she loses, I hear there's a job open at a college in Louisiana.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.