1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Can she live with her parents while trying to get tenure?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except not everyone has the same background as you did to build a track record of achievement. And not everyone had the same resources as you did. Let's not keep pretending that everyone is starting from the same starting line.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hillary's already lived in government housing for 20 years (8 in the White House, 12 in the AR Governor's Mansion). Taints everything she's accomplished.

4. Baron Scicluna

Might be kinda hard to impress recruits.

5. Baron Scicluna

I wasn't aware she was born in government housing?

6. JohnHammond

She's a welfare queen.

7. YankeeFan

Baron, a couple of things...

1. I could have/would have started my business without the loan (which was less than $20,000)

2. No record of achievement? OK. Yes, you will have trouble raising funds. That was part of my broader point. Go prove yourself. Doors will open if you do.

8. Baron Scicluna

1. How successful,would your business be if you hadn't gotten the loan?

2. According to Forbes/Bloomberg, 80 percent of business fail within the first 18 months. How many of those were from people who had a great idea, talent and a track record for achievement?

Five Reasons 8 Out Of 10 Businesses Fail

9. YankeeFan

Baron, I didn't need the loan to open the business.

My parents loaned me money for moving/living expenses so that I did not have to cash out my investment accounts or other savings.

I could have still self funded the business without the loan. I could have also borrowed money from other friends and family if I had wanted/needed to.

I might have eaten more ramen noodles for a month or two. That's about it.

I have no idea. Do you?

But, let's discuss the "track record" for a minute. It's about specific experience. It's about operational experience.

For instance, someone might be smart, and might have a great idea for a restaurant concept, but if he's never worked a day in his life in a restaurant, I'm not loaning him a cent. Someone smart, with a great idea for a restaurant, who's run a restaurant and/or a kitchen will have a much better chance raising the necessary capital. I'd think about investing in a talented chef, in someone who's negotiated leases, who's hired staff, managed a budget, trained a staff, etc.

So if you're dream is to eventually own a restaurant, you better get your foot in the door. Wash dishes. Wait tables. Bartend.

The same principal applies to any/every other business.

Could it still fail? Sure. But, you'll get the money you need to take a shot.

Songbird likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Baron, do you assume an individual who doesn't initially have the same opportunities is destined to fail?

11. JohnHammond

Baron needs to analyze Steve Jobs' path to early success.

12. Baron Scicluna

1. Proving my point again. For you, you weren't taking as big a risk as others would be.

2. How much operational experience did you have with fixing coffee machines?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.