1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, but they do have a much more difficult path, and may not have the safety net that others may have.

And, for the umpteenth time, there's nothing wrong with that. But don't claim you've hit a home run when you cross home plate when in reality, you were inserted as a pinch runner on third base.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You think YF's experience was the equivalent of starting on third base? How many bases do you think are part of baseball?

old_tony likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

OK, I'll concede. He was inserted at first base.

Which is still easier to score a run than a player who didn't have the resources to afford the fee for Little League.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Baron, you don't have a point. You're fixated on this idea that YF has somehow held himself up as an exemplar of the self-made man. He hasn't.

People take all sorts of risks when they go in different directions. When I veered toward academia I put at risk maybe $50K or $60K (in lost income). Then there was the fear at what they might say if I couldn't hack it.

YF risked plenty. To insist otherwise is nonsense.

If your circumstances don't permit (or haven't permitted) you to change your direction, nobody, including YF, stands in judgement of you. For you to sit there and discount the successes of anyone who took such a chance, however, is so much whiny shoulda-coulda-woulda.

And your use of the "born on third base" metaphor as re: YF is pathetic.

5. doctorquant

Pathetic.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what point you think you keep proving.

If my business had failed, I would have gotten a job, and paid back my parents.

In that regard, my parents had less at risk. It wasn't a business loan. It was a personal loan.

Someone else could start a business, and if it failed, they too would have to go get a job, and start over.

I'm not sure how you are determining who has more or less to lose.

I spent a year fixing espresso machines in Florida, making $15.00 an hour.

That was a big pay cut for me, but I took the job with the intention of learning enough to start my own business, and so I made it a point to also take on additional responsibilities.

I re-did our billing operation. I solicited new accounts, to make sure I could do it for myself, and won over several, including some big ones. I created new sales and marketing materials. I developed relationships with our vendors. I streamlined how we disptched and scheduled service to increase productivity, and profit.

By the time I opened my business I was ready to go.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's an interesting discussion to be had about privilege vs. meritocracy in American society.

This definitely isn't that discussion.

9. Mr. Sunshine

10. Mr. Sunshine

Repairing espresso machines for minimum wage is no small sacrifice.

11. doctorquant

I regret allowing myself to get sucked into it, and I'm embarrassed I kept picking at it. I shan't participate in this facet of the discussion any more.

12. Mr. Sunshine

OK, back to abortion.

old_tony, HanSenSE and YankeeFan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.