1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did Maury name him after Bumpus?

[​IMG]

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One, and did not record an out.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bumgarner takes Kershaw deep. Did it last year too. Only pitcher ever to homer off Kershaw.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Padres place starting pitcher Tyson Ross on the DL with right shoulder inflammation. Ross pitched well for five innings, then fell apart in the sixth opening day against the Dodgers and had some trouble with the shoulder during a bullpen session.

5. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

You're the OOP of Basketball and Baseball threads with your in-game updates.

6. Songbird

Cards made history last night: first team with 3 pinch hit homers in a game. They had 4 last year.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Not really the same situation at all, but it reminds me of when I was in my early 20s covering a rookie league team. It had a piggyback rotation going and the starter had a no-hitter after his five innings.

I of course asked the manager if he thought about leaving him in and got a great answer.

"I've got no interest in finding out what happens to me if I let him go over his pitch count for a fucking minor league no-hitter."

8. Songbird

And what is a Hazelbaker?

9. outofplace

Just like me, he made a relevant post on the running thread and somebody decided to whine about it.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

LOLz.

11. outofplace

Following an irrelevant, useless post with one that relates to the topic, the news out of A.J. Pollock's surgery is not good.

A.J. Pollock's broken elbow related to unhealed 2010 injury

Apparently, the bone that he broke in his elbow in 2010 never healed properly, which put stress on a screw that was surgically inserted into the elbow at the time. The screw broke. If I'm understanding the doctor's comments correctly, they knew about the situation before allowing him to return to the field late in spring training. They were going to try to let him play through it due to what Dr. Tom Sheridan called "the complex nature of the surgery."

The current prognosis is at least three months before Pollock can even begin baseball activities, but even that is counting on the bone healing after it failed to heal from the 2010 injury. The more I read, the more surprised I'd be to see him play in 2016 and I wonder if he will make it all the way back beyond even that. Damn shame. Pollock had really emerged as a heck of a player in 2015.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It was weird the way Pollock re-injured it, too ... not on the actual slide into home, but using his arm to get up after the play. Based on the link OOP posted, it was literally an injury waiting to happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted