1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is Bill a part of team Clinton:

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just so we're clear ... you're saying Trump should NOT face criticism like this?

Just so we're clear. I'd like to start putting identities on the lunatic fringe out there.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, he's saying it's embarrassing, gimmicky, low-rent fear mongering from the paper that brought you "Spotlight."

4. jr/shotglass

Yeah, that was the other option. I think that's full of shit, too. It was stunningly effective, and I'm past the point of thinking newspapers are "above" being quirky or satiric. You do what you need to do in order to get your point across, within reason. And this was well within reason. Donald put the ball on the tee. They just hit it.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is correct. He doesn't know what he's going to do because the people who'd be qualified for him to hire in a variety of roles would tell him, point blank, he can't do most of it. Which, since Bernie Sanders is a smart guy, he already knows.

That doesn't mean that his platform is useless. It has been useful. But there's an almost hilarious streak of Pollyannish nonsense in his campaign and from his followers, the same kind of dangerous purity test that has chipped away at the GOP for 20 years.

Sanders, again, is the guy who claimed he was more for Obama than Clinton because he didn't run against Obama in 2008 for the presidency. This is one of the worst, most spurious arguments ever made in the history of any debate, anywhere, ever. And, the day after he said it, two liberal friends parroted it back to me.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh God. And I'm the moral compass of the board, eh?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Running a government that advances our country interests requires compromise, something the extremes of both major parties fail miserably to recognize in their emotional appeals to their least informed constituents. But the blame lies with the political apathy of the electorate as much as with the politicians who seek to exploit it.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is that not what YF was saying, Rev.?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree. Editorial or not, I don't think this is the right move for a major newspaper. Embarrassing and childish actually.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think it would have been terrific as a third-party op-ed, not unlike a good cartoon.

12. jr/shotglass

Well, that's a stand I am willing to take.

When you have Eisenhower-Stevenson, or Reagan-Mondale, or Clinton-Dole, or Bush-Kerry, "apathetic" America was not going to get passionate about it, because you knew life wasn't going to change dramatically regardless of the outcome.

When you're going where we're going, with a misogynistic bigot who promises trade wars on one side, and you begin to realize there are a whole lot more closet nuts out there than anyone realized -- that's when you get passionate about it. And I'm glad to see newspapers and people get passionate about it and take the strong stand.

The time for staying above the fray is not now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.