1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Before 2015, he was considered a talented prospect, but far enough away that he wasn't expected to be in the majors by 2016. He took a big step forward in the minors last season and that moved up the timetable. Coming into spring training, he wasn't expected to make the opening day roster, but he was likely to make it to the bigs at some point this season. Choo's injury moved that up.

Twirling, I didn't realize he was on the 40-man, either. I figured it would be midseason before we saw him. Mazara only had 20 games at AAA before this season.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You don't accrue service time from the 40-man, just the 25-man.

He had to have been added to the 40-man after the last season to stay out of the Rule 5 draft, because he signed as a 16-year-old in 2011, and that makes four full minor league seasons since he signed (usually the rule is three, but if you sign under the age of 18 as a foreign player you get four.).

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The 1935 Boston Braves lost 115 games in 153 games. They are communicating from the beyond to say that the genuinely pity the current Braves.

OTOH, since we're turning back the clock to 1988, can we kindly extend this to aging? There were some things at age 22 I missed out on .

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

'88 Braves had three HOFers on it and a few pieces of a future nucleus. This team is dogshit.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Truly heartbreaking. #letsgomets

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

'35 Braves had two Hall of Fame players (the Babe and Rabbit Maranville) and a Hall of Fame manager (Bill McKechnie)

They were so bad, Ruth was second on the team in HRs with 6, and he had retired at the end of May.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Oh, I am totally glad they suck shit, hope they're even worse when they open their new ballpark.
    Technically '88 Braves had four HOFers on their 106-loss team, with Bobby Cox as GM.
    And Ted Simmons should be in Cooperstown to make it five.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think it's more of a product of the extreme speed of Dyson and Gore. That made this particular pitcher get unhinged.

An awful loss for the Twins. Up 3-1 in the 9th against a KC team that already had its suitcases packed for the flight to Houston.

Now a death watch commences over a Minnesota season with high expectations. After watching them for three games... I just don't get hype. Same with Cleveland.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Cleveland has some outstanding starting pitching, along with one of the better middle I fields in the game. They're also still missing Brantley. That said, they sure looked like dogs hit booting the ball around when I watched them play on Saturday. I picked them to win the division, I think, so I'll stand by that. One week in, the White Sox are pretty impressive. They can win it, too, but only if they move John Danks into middle relief sooner than later.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wonder about that middle infield. Lindor exceeded expectations a bit last year and I think Kipnis is overrated. I do like their pitching, but I'm not sure they have enough offense even when Brantley comes back. One good sign is Yan Gomes, who has had a decent start after a strong spring training. He was very good in 2014 before injuries ruined his season in 2015.

Draft saved Draft deleted