1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Overrated? Kipnis the last 4 years averages 150 hits, 31 doubles, 11 homers, 63 RBIs, 24 stoles bases, .271 average, .342 OBP.

With the glove his errors in that span are 6, 12, 6, 7 -- 37 total -- in 2,411 chances, or one every 65 chances.

Not sure how much more you'd want out of the guy.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never said he was a bad player. He is a very good second baseman. I see him as overrated, which I get is a very subjective thing. The post I responded to painted them as having this big advantage in the middle infield and I'm not sure that is true.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But who in that division can touch them at 2B-SS?

Lawrie-Rollins
    Kinsler-Iglesias
    Infante-Escobar
    Dozier-Escobar

4. Songbird

Well, there are 30 starting second basemen and he's generally rated between 5 and 7.

After Altuve, I'd put him in the group as next best, including Gordon and Cano.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Orioles at 5-0. I'm going to enjoy it, because it won't last.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand how Jason Kipnis being "overrated" has anything to do with a serious analysis of the Indians' middle infield. Like Songbird pointed out, his performance is his performance. It's not like I saw those numbers and said, "Oh, shit! I thought he was averaging 27 home runs a year. Better adjust!"

7. Songbird

Kipnis apparently sucks on the pivot so perhaps the Indians' middle infield ain't so hot ...

We now have more precise measurements. Baseball Info Solutions tracks pivot opportunities and pivots completed, to give us an overall percentage and an indicator of a player's ability on the double play. Here are leaders at second base for 2015, given at least 50 opportunities:

1. Dee Gordon, Miami Marlins: 74.3 percent

2. Carlos Sanchez, Chicago White Sox: 73.3 percent

3. Ian Kinsler, Detroit Tigers: 70.7 percent

4. DJ LeMahieu, Colorado Rockies: 70.5 percent

5. Joe Panik, San Francisco Giants: 69.2 percent

The bottom three: Jason Kipnis (55.6 percent), Howie Kendrick (56.9 percent) and Omar Infante (57.7 percent). Daniel Murphy, Addison Russell and Anthony Rendon actually rated worse than Kipnis, although with fewer than 50 opportunities. Gordon's Gold Glove seems even more deserved after seeing this; interesting that one reason the Dodgers traded him was concerns about his defense. That Kipnis, Murphy, Russell and Rendon would rate low isn't a surprise either, given Kipnis' so-so defensive rep, Murphy's poor one and Russell and Rendon being new to the position.

For shortstops, your top five:

1. Andrelton Simmons, Atlanta Braves: 83.5 percent

2. Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies-Blue Jays: 75.0 percent

3. Nick Ahmed, Arizona Diamondbacks: 74.7 percent

4. Jose Iglesias, Detroit Tigers: 72.1 percent

5. Brandon Crawford, San Francisco Giants: 71.2 percent

That seems to be a list of the strongest arms at the position, indicating arm strength is perhaps more important for a shortstop while quickness and reflexes are more important for a second baseman. Of course, your double-play partner can affect your rating depending on how quickly and accurately he delivers you the baseball. The bottom three: Asdrubal Cabrera (44.9 percent), Carlos Correa(46.0 percent) and Jose Reyes (48.1 percent). Note that Russell also rates near the bottom at shortstop; let's see how he improves in this area in 2016.

<snip>

Let's finish with this, for a little fun. My top three DP combos for 2016:

1. Ian Kinsler/Jose Iglesias, Tigers

2. Dee Gordon/Adeiny Hechavarria, Marlins

3. Joe Panik, Brandon Crawford, Giants

Let's turn two: The best double-play combos in the majors

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That crappy Jon Niese is mowing down the Tigers in Detroit. Happ would have done better.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And they would still have the great Neil Walker.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

#baseballsucks

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you had said they had the best middle infield in the division, I would have agreed, but that is not the same thing as one of the best middle infields in the game. I'm just not sure those two are so great that they represent a huge advantage for Cleveland.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Kipnis is no Neil Walker.

Draft saved Draft deleted