1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hall of Very Good. Tops. But at least he usually makes me laugh.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Truth.

BDC99 likes this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Don't forget Japan having its industrial infrastructure wiped out. Our prosperity from the 40s through mid-60s has almost become a curse in disguise, because of Americans unrealistically thinking it can be re-captured. It can't. That was the perfect storm where all our industrial competiton had just been obliterated by war and thus the world had no choice but to buy their shit from us at whatever price we asked. It will never ever happen again.

Frankly, I'm now not sure why we were so eager to kill communism, there was a lot less economic competition when half the world was doing it the wrong way.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    RickStain likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Their courage would be an asset to this board.

HanSenSE, Lugnuts, dixiehack and 3 others like this.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ivanka's probably mad that Dick is lowering the odds she can get on Ted Cruz.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I suppose you can always change the law, but as it stands now, just being in the country illegally is not a criminal offense in and of itself. It's a civil matter.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Along those lines, Cuba never "needed" to be an enemy.

Sure, Castro wasn't the American puppet we had before in Cuba. But he would have worked with us, traded with us. Cuba still needed energy, but we refused to supply it to them. So where do they turn? Ah, the Soviet Union! They weren't buddies because of communism; they were buddies because Cuba had nowhere else to turn, the USSR accepted them (90 miles from U.S. soil, why not?), and America shitting its pants over it just made it that much more enjoyable for the Russians.

Never needed to happen.

Stoney likes this.
  9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is actually true, at least according to Harry Truman. He said Castro turned to us before he turned to the Soviet Union.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Castro was/is a megalomaniac long convinced of his destiny to become a leading historical figure. No way in hell he was going to be a cooperative, kindly trading partner with the imperialist behemoth next door. The US ambassador could have stood outside the presidential palace shitting silver dollars and Castro would have aligned with the Soviets.

Besides, HST had been out of office (and on Ike's shit list) for 7 years when Castro toppled Batista. He had no inside information.

SFIND likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ugh. Tough day to be a wombat around here.

I am posting less frequently (super busy, and been on work travel), if that makes anyone feel any better.

I am also trying to not give Moddy a coronary. I actually have been toning it down lately, or trying to, at least occasionally.

But do be forewarned - I do intend to polish my FBI knob though, if wishes come true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.