1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think in the A.L. Central I'd go:

1. Cleveland
    2. Chicago
    3. Kansas City
    4. Detroit
    5. Minnesota

From what I've seen so far, it's difficult to imagine that the White Sox don't win 88-90 games.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

White Sox are averaging four runs a game, have a sub-.300 OBP, and have stolen one base. That won't change if they keep giving regular ABs to Austin Jackson, Jimmy Rollins, Brett Lawrie, and Avisail Garcia.

3. Dick Whitman

The two gaping holes are Danks in the fifth starter spot and Rollins at shortstop. I don't think either holds their role by June 1. Their 1-2-3 and, if Latos is serviceable, 1-2-3-4, is as good as just about anybody's, though.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Latos is terrible, and they have to have someone better in their system than Danks.

5. Dick Whitman

They have some options. Carson Fullmer is their first-round pick from a couple years ago and is about ready. Erik Johnson has performed well in limited chances in his career, but Latos beat him out in the spring. They also grabbed Miguel Gonzalez after the Orioles cut bait.

I've never understood the love affair with Danks. I have friends who are fans who still support the guy. Should have signed Buehrle instead. One of the biggest mistakes of the Williams regime.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Danks has a career 4.35 ERA and 1.34 WHIP, and he's made $57 million in his career. Nice work if you can get it.
    Of course he has the advantage of being born left-handed, which helps if you're going to be a shitballer at the bottom of a rotation in the American League.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who are the guys who always had talent?

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Earl Weaver 3 run HR in the top of the ninth. Now 6-0. After a crappy spring training, and with Adam Jones out, I will definitely enjoy this unexpected start.

9. Dick Whitman

Am I wrong or is strange that the White Sox and Cubs are both off today after opening series yesterday?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Very common to schedule an off-day a day after the home opener in case of bad weather postponing the opener. It allows all the tickets sold for the opener to be used the next day, rather than having all those tickets forced to be used on Thursday for the third home game should a makeup be scheduled then.

11. Dick Whitman

Right. As I think about it, that often happens after opening day. It threw me that it's week 2, but both teams played in home openers. Guess Mrs. Whitman and I will have some free time tonight to draw the shades.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would guess it's much more a thing in climates of the upper midwest -- which Chicago most certainly is -- rather than the Florida and California teams or the dome teams. I don't think they've scheduled the off day for the day after the opener in Milwaukee since Miller Park has opened.

Draft saved Draft deleted