1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Smart move by Hillary:

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There have been some attempts by restaurants to adopt a "the price is the price" model, but they haven't been all that successful. Not that they won't be, it's just that they haven't been.

It's a long-embeddeded custom, propped up in part by our irrationality when it comes to prices. There's a reason so much of what we buy is priced at $X.99.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Haven't some restaurant owners/chefs come out against tipping recently?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. And it's had mixed results. Some have abandoned it.

But, that's not what this is about. Hillary is proposing that tipped employees receive the minimum wage, not a lower wage that is now allowed.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's not a good thing.

I think most people have had enough of all these costs being passed on to them.

I also think most people tip better when they don't feel ripped off by the price of the meal.

Not arguing for or against anything, just saying "pass it on to the customer" is getting really old.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get that. The line of conversation made me think of it.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, those are the kinds of calculations reataurant owners will need to make. If they piss off too many customers with higher meal prices, or inadequate service because they cut jobs, they'll risk losing business.

Customers aren't powerless in the equation. They can decide to eat fewer meals at restaurants or be more discerning about those restaurants they choose.

All things considered, I don't think employers should be able to pay wait staff a sub-minimum wage because they recieve tips. It doesn't make sense.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except the customer already is paying it. Instead of paying $20 for a meal and giving a $3 tip, the price becomes $23, and the customer is under no obligation to pay a tip unless they want to.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In fast-food places, employees make minimum wage and usually don't get tips. The main difference in their job and that of a restaurant server is that they don't bring the food to you. Everything else (take order, take money, hand out food) is the same job. And yet, the minimum wage is built into the price of the food.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, that's really not what happens (in theory and in general practice). Businesses don't really pay employees; customers do. And generally businesses act as the sole market-makers for labor in the labor-customer transaction. For a variety of reasons (few of which make any real sense), in the restaurant industry businesses handle only a portion of the transaction.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That was no slip of the tongue.

Trump's dogging it. He doesn't want to win, but he doesn't want to pull out either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.