1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This story is from 2013, but it illustrates why "equal pay" is not an issue that a politician can solve:

Listen Now: Why Women (Like Me) Choose Lower-Paying Jobs

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If by solve you mean eradicate, sure, we'll never in our lifetime see penny-for-penny equal pay. We won't solve poverty or a million other things, either. Should we not attempt to mitigate the problems?

3. YankeeFan

If women gravitate towards lower paying majors/jobs/careers, is that a problem?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nah, you'll never be Undefeated.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Depending on the reasons for that happening, it certainly could be, but I'd also suggest that's only part of the issue. Women are often being paid less than men for the same job on an apples-to-apples basis.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What failure in policy has them gravitating to lower paying majors/jobs/careers?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There was a pretty clever (those of more refined sensibilities will of course vehemently disagree) thing making the rounds a week or so ago regarding "Equal Pay Day." Equal Pay Day is purportedly the day in 2016 when women will have earned, in total across 2015 and 2016, as much as men earned in 2015 alone.

Equal Workplace Fatalities Day -- when women will "catch up" with the number of workplace fatalities experienced by men in 2015 -- will be January 12 ... in 2027.

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  8. YankeeFan

The reason is that men and women are different. Difference interests. Different priorities.

We could try to change that, but I'm not sure why it's necessary.

In apples-to-apples comparisons, there is very little difference in pay.

old_tony likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What If Private Entrepreneurs Behaved Like Politicians, Pundits, and Professors? - Cafe Hayek

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Have you seen any research that backs up your contention that there is very little difference in pay in an apples-to-apples comparison? I'd be interested to see that.

I have some anecdotal evidence that there is often a very large difference in pay, but being that it's anecdotal, I know it doesn't prove anything.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course. And I would never in a million years believe 100 percent of the "unreported by their employer to the IRS" money that tippees receive are reported on the tippees' tax return.

So yes, they commit tax fraud. Just as my wife does every time she sells a dress and gets paid cash for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.