1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Describe an apples-to-apples comparison.

Same education? Same experience? Same workload?

There's almost no such thing.

We see a large gap in pay between the "average" male vs. "average" female.

Activists don't even try to make an issue out of apples-to-apples comparisons, because there isn't an issue to make.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tips are usually pooled. You turn them in, and get them back in your paycheck, with taxes withheld.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You're under arrest, sir. Aiding and abetting.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Making an apples-to-apples comparison is very challenging, but June and David O'Neill have done some of the best work in that regard. They've decomposed the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (NLSY) and found that, when you control for things like career choice, time spent in the workforce, etc., you see almost all of the wage gap disappear (you wind up with women earning something like 95 to 96 cents on the dollar). Indeed, for men and women just starting out, apples-to-apples comparisons show women earning more than men. Perhaps that 4% to 5% gap that ultimately obtains is the result of discrimination, but it's also possible (indeed, probable) that it's just the result of a not-quite-apples-to-apples comparison being made.

bigpern23 and YankeeFan like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

So no single waitress is screwed by the occasional deadbeat or rewarded with the occasional story of generosity I see in my Facebook news feed? Learn something new every day.

[​IMG]

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So my betting site has Hillary -800 for the Democratic nomination right now. That seems like stealing money, right? Bernie is at +450. Republicans Trump -200, Cruz +150, Kasich +600, Romney +9000.

Proud to say I got money down on Cruz when he was at +350 and Kasich at +3500.

TigerVols likes this.
  8. doctorquant

Yeah, but you needed only two bennies to get those down. You'll need to pull eight out to take that Hillary action. Don't know about your household, but in mine such a move would be found to be ... distasteful.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure a lot of larger companies are doing equal pay audits and many have found gaps they're addressing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but if I get a chance to later, I will. Do you have a link to any of their research to save me a step?

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So, no?

12. doctorquant

There's a working paper on the website of the National Bureau of Economic Research (Baron shudders), but I think they turned that into a book rather than an actual published paper. I don't know of any other similar studies (supporting or contradicting).

bigpern23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.