1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true at all. Saw plenty of people dancing to Michael Jackson, Madonna, Lionel Ritchie, The Bangles, the Go-Gos, Billy Idol, Boy George and others.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for proving my point.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Back page Chevy ad in today's USA Today:

[​IMG]

Doc Holliday, murphyc and jpetrie18 like this.
  4. CD Boogie

If your point was to be wrong, then congrats. Really, no one was dancing to Madonna and Michael Jackson? Would you care to revise your bullshit statement, sir?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is always dance music. Prince made good music that made you want to dance, and he was generally respected by music fans who might go see The Allman Brothers or Bruce Springsteen or Rush.

Not so much Madonna or Michael Jackson.

6. CD Boogie

OK, well now we're talking about two different things. People weren't dancing too much to the Allman Brothers or Bruce Springsteen (except maybe Courtney Cox). But you said, "Prince was one of the few who put out popular stuff at the time that made you want to get up and move." If you replace "popular" with "respected by music fans," now we're talking.

7. Neutral Corner

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The last great American car song. Well played, Chevy.

9. Neutral Corner

You know, the nice thing is that it wasn't crass at all. Respectful. Well played indeed.

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's got to be just about the gold standard for #brands engaging with current events.

murphyc, old_tony and CD Boogie like this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do tend toward hyperbole.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Mrs. Coco's a huge Prince fan, so we dug through her old tapes and LPs and found all the 1980s (and late 1970s) Prince albums.

My 1995 Toyota Camry has a car stereo cassette player that still works — the only working cassette player we own — so we cranked "Dirty Mind" while driving around this morning.

We both laughed at the line "it's you I really wanna drive." Might have to follow The Onion's suggestion later ... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted