1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

sounds like a textbook case. People take it for an injury, get over-prescribed and hooked. So easy to conceal the use of pills, too, until you go off the rails. Had a buddy who threw out his back and took percs, was soon extolling their greatness and how he wished we'd taken them earlier as opposed to weed. I never liked pills, having broken a leg in hs and gotten some percs and having nightmares from them. But he got hooked, was soon calling me and asking me to buy them for him on my credit card because he'd been flagged or something. Scary shit when a good friend is at that point. Apparently Prince could OD and a few days later just waltz into a pharmacy and get more. One downside to fame.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Hurt my back about 20 years ago and was prescribed Vicodin for the first time. Took two and spent the next couple hours thinking it was greatest stuff in the world. Never again did it feel THAT good, though. All these opioid addictions don't surprise me one bit.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What a tribute.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I still cannot believe it; my buddy and I were in college when Purple Rain came out, put it on the turntable and could not understand; went to movie and everything made sense; then we waited for tickets in sidewalk overnight for tickets to Purple Rain concert tour in 1984(?), he did not disappoint; he was better than MJ, that amazing, I'm still bummed

BTW went to Minneapolis in 20's and went to 1st Street club to pay homage

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Never understood the appeal of opioids.
    Even when prescribed I felt the high was a bit of a drag.
    Interesting how 'flu' has come to masquerade as drug-induced medical event, though.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Opioid abuse is a terrible epidemic. Good thing they are legal and all and people who push them knowing their dangers rarely have to go to jail with the pot dealers and other bad people.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Addiction is a terrible thing, but it doesn't absolve people of responsibility. You make it sound like doctors are pimps. My state is one of many that are updating guidelines for prescribing opioids as a means of addressing the epidemic.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not difficult to understand how a man in his mid-50s with a degenerative hip issue who has to dance for a living might get hooked.

Good thing Riptide got a good yuck out of it.

Riptide likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted