1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Colabello average: .069

2. Songbird

Arrieta in last night 16 regular season games: 15-0, 0.53 ERA.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What's funny is that last night's line, 6 strikeouts, four walks, is the kind of no-hitter you would expect John Danks or some other rag arm to luck his ass into. Instead, the best pitcher in the game over the last year manages it.

If anyone watched the game, the umpire should have rung up Suarez in the ninth on the third pitch, a nasty curveball. (Pitchf/X confirms this.) So if he had gotten a hit, it would have been a tribute to Milt Pappas, I guess, in much the way that musicians are tributing Prince.

Songbird likes this.
  4. Songbird

I thought that the ball call on that curve was going to be the death of the no-hitter. How the fuck wasn't that the final pitch of the game? Devastating curve dropped right over the middle of the plate.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Correct. Sorry. The first oher than Vander Meer.

6. Songbird

Eric Byrnes is a psychopath, in the best way.

Charlie Pierce, do a story on him?

7. Songbird

Video of that curve is nowhere to he found.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It was a strike according to pitch f/x, but not as down the middle as camera angle made it look. Almost outside.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ellsbury just stole home to tie the game.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I really thought pitch f/x had both pitches just as I thought while watching. Maybe I have a good eye for what the angle distorts. I thought the curveball snapped through the zone just as it crossed the hitting zone. It was close, but it seemed to come around in time.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pending the bottom of the ninth, the Cubs have outscored the Reds 46-7 in five games this year.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Although he threw the seven no-hitters, I wouldn't say Ryan was "dominating." He was never more than six games over .500 in a season and just 30 over .500 for 27-year career. Even the back-to-back years he won 21 and 22, he lost 16 in each of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted