1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You'll be missed.

JC likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. All irresponsible potheads. We know that no responsible citizens given painkillers ever become addicted. Just like no one who legally owns a gun uses it irresponsibly or has accidents.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If I could interrupt with a Prince-related item ... Kevin Seifert, now of ESPN, writes about when Sid Hartman wanted to meet the local kid for the first time at the 2007 Super Bowl.

Prince looked at Sid.

Sid looked at Prince.

"Hello, Mr. Hartman," Prince said. "How are you?"

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of my biddies from high school was once Prince's house manager. And he wrote a script for Prince's appearance on The Simpsons after Prince hated the one supplied by the Simpsons people. Only the Simpsons people (Conan O'Brien, in particular) refused to consider producing an outside script, even if it meant losing Prince altogether. Prince insisted on the script my buddy wrote, the Simpsons people refused to budge, and the two sides could never come together.

Remembering The Prince-Themed 'Simpsons' Episode That Never Was

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Surely you must have some links to studies that show the majority of heroin addicts started out being prescribed pain pills. I look forward to seeing it.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Tough stuff.

"One study showed that people who abuse painkillers like OxyContin are 19 times more likely to start using heroin. The study also found that 8 out of 10 people who started using heroin abused painkillers first."

The Connection Between Pain Medications and Heroin

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gotta make our investment pay off.

[​IMG]

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Sometimes" doesn't establish causation.

"One study." What did the other studies show? And why don't they care to mention them?

"Abused." So people who are more likely to abuse something sought drugs of abuse? Knock me down with a feather.

Kids were abusing heroin in the 1960s and 70s without ever having been prescribed or without having ever even heard of Oxycontin -- which wasn't approved by the FDA until 1995 and wasn't released as a brand name until 2013.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You do like your absolutes, don't you? Thing is, these painkillers lead people who never expected or intended to abuse drugs to become addicts. And many go in to heroin when they can't get or afford the pills.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Stunning. And too bad his Google is still broken. It is a fact that heroin us the same drug family. So it would stand to reason, and has been shown repeatedly and often reported, that when the pills get too expensive or the scrips dry up, people turn to the cheaper and easier to acquire heroin. I dont understand ot's play here. Is it just, be responsible and don't get hooked? Sounds simple.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm not sure anyone intends to become a drug addict.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Like many this week, Prince is heavily back in my music rotation. Forgot now much I loved his stuff. Just makes you happy when you listen.

I wonder how much, if any, of his unreleased stuff will come out. I'm guessing he'd be against any of it being released.

Draft saved Draft deleted