1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, he is now banned for life from said message board. :)

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

It seemed Prince was becoming more open, if that's the right word.

He'd ride his bike around, people who live over there would see him. A friend who saw him thought to himself "who would dress like that to ride a bike?" and then he remembered where he was. I wonder if the bike riding was related to his hip and knee issues, a low-impact way to stay active.

He showed up recently at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater, which is an old school landmark in the west metro:

Music News: Prince surprises Ray Charles tribute in Chanhassen with guest guitar solo

The people in Chan liked him, said he was a good neighbor.

Prince: global rock star, musical genius, cultural icon — and a good neighbor

Sad to me he died alone. I suppose more details of the life he lived will come out.

RIP

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

SNL is airing a tribute to him tonight.

It's been cool seeing all the concert acts who've done a tribute to him - Springsteen, Buffett, Mumfords, Avetts, a ton of jam bands.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

With 2 days to rehearse, Bruce and the ESB knock off a killer "Purple Rain."

Huggy and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Am I full of shit, or has this level of response from fellow artists to a musician's death been unprecedented? I know Bowie got a lot of love, for good reason, but not the TV/online and concert tributes we have seen with this. Pretty eye-opening as someone who only marginally appreciated Prince from his radio hits.

Iron_chet likes this.
  6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Must be a right-wing screech machine board.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Little known fact: Prince wrote Okie From Muskogee.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Jacko's memorial was broadcast live on a couple of channels. That was pretty over the top.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wasn't the memorial for Whitney Houston also broadcast on at least one of the major networks?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wait till Madonna dies.

11. Starman

Yeah, I know 'em all.

12. Starman

If it's in the next 10 years or so while she's still active, it'll be huge.

Dylan dying will be pretty massive. As will all the Sixties Rock gods -- Clapton, Townshend, Mick and Keith, Paul and Ringo. As they're all in their seventies and counting, they'll probably be knocking off on a depressingly regular basis.

Heck, we still have Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis to go out of the generation of Fifties rockers.

Draft saved Draft deleted