1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not exactly the same - you're choosing not to bake the cake because of the cake's content, as it were. Not making cakes for gay people discriminates against the customer.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's close, but a little different. I think that the baker could refuse, say, to make a cake of a penis, or any design, on artistic grounds. He just couldn't flat-out deny service based on the customer's sexual orientation. Here, he'd have to be willing to bake something for the Nazi, but not necessarily the swastika.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If a Jewish bakery makes Nazi cakes for everyone else? I guess so.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but haven't the no-gay-wedding bakers said that they'd bake something, but not a wedding cake?

Oh, wait ... You're discussing the analogy. Carry on ...

5. Dick Whitman

Sure, but Nazis aren't a protected class in any states, last I checked.

6. Dick Whitman

Also, if you want to add Nazis to the list of protected classes in your state, go ahead and get that ball rolling.

7. doctorquant

Hey, it's Texas ... per lots of folks 'round here, Nazis are the only protected class in my state.

8. doctorquant

It's interesting all the brushed-past detail (which maybe academics and lawyers are especially drawn to) re: some of these cases. The New Mexico photographer case -- which still burns my craw, even though I do not (and for decades have not) shared the position of the photographer in question -- is a prime example. At the time of triggering incident, the state of New Mexico did not provide for same-sex marriages. There had been a very brief period (three years prior) in which a single county clerk (a Republican, by the way) issued marriage licenses to same-sex couples, but she had been rather hastily overruled by the state's attorney general (a Democrat).

Now, New Mexico law did forbid discrimination in public accommodations with regards to sexual orientation. But I suspect there are credible legal arguments to the effect of "just because I won't do everything with you doesn't mean I'm discriminating against you." Especially when the state itself is, as a matter of law, discriminating against same-sex couples in the matter of marriage!

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Republican voters on this board must be so proud today; America is on the very of being great again.

[​IMG]

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Crossed giblets, etc.

11. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

If Mark Warner ran for president, I would vote for him in a heartbeat.

He was a hugely successful businessman and became one of the best governors in Virginia history.

But he makes way too much fucking sense to ever get the Democratic nomination.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.