1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Playing out the string because he has the money to, and because he'll never get another shot in the spotlight?

3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

The proverbial "salt of the earth".

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He could do that with a lot more dignity than he's doing it with right now. The passive-aggressive pitch to superdelegates - only I can beat Trump - is cringe-worthy. He could play out the string without trying to bring her down at the same time. It's really unseemly.

5. amraeder

I agree. The bitching about closed primaries (but not caucuses!) is unseemly. The pivot from bitching about super delegates to courting them is unseemly. He's coming across as even more the crazy old grandpa now. It's awful. Hillary should pretty much ignore him from here on out. She's got it in the bag (and has for a while). Now that the GOP side has settled, focus on Trump, ignore Sanders.

Deskgrunt50 and Dick Whitman like this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're sounding like you're invested in the outcome.

7. Dick Whitman

Exactly my thought. Imagine if he won by 3 million votes and 300 delegates. And then Hillary won at the convention based on superdelegates. Imagine the reaction of his crowd.

8. Dick Whitman

Not at all. Less so than you are, certainly. But from a political standpoint, I don't understand what he sees as the upside, at this point, to courting superdelegates. It seems delusional. I don't understand what his angle is.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's like Montgomery Burns trying to make a meme.

Iron_chet likes this.
  10. amraeder

And he has ZERO chance of convincing them. None. So all he is doing is blunting his own message against the whole damn system being corrupt. It makes zero sense.

My only reading of it is:
    He came into this thinking he couldn't win.
    Now, he thinks he could have won if he'd done things differently form the get-go. And that realization is causing him to tilt at windmills.

I'm probably wrong because this interpretation is worse than armchair psych. But, that's my guess.

11. Dick Whitman

Here's something that the "It's so scary that Trump might win!!!ELEVENTY1111" people don't seem to understand:

If Trump runs the kind of campaign necessary to win over the next 4-5 months, then he won't be so scary any more. If he shows he has a grasp of the issues and is respectful (but tough) regarding his opponent, then he could win. And I'd be all right with that, and so should others. If it's a 4-5 month shitshow again, he'll lose.

Nothing to be "scared" of at all, in my opinion.

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He can't change much, because if he becomes just another candidate, he'll alienate his core supporters. He has to keep being outrageous. Otherwise, he's just Mitt Romney with worse hair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.