1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many did he do yesterday?

At least one morning network show. Morning Joe. NBC Nightly News. O'Reilly. And, probably more. Plus the Washington Post, I believe.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is silly. This is like when people say that "the blacks" should all pull themselves up by the bootstraps simultaneously.

3. Dick Whitman

I addressed this. See prior response.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's a legitimate issue, and not one that is easily solved. I've seen jobs offshored that you would think were impossible to. I know of hospitals who send x-rays, particularly those of acute patients done overnight, electronically to radiologists in India to have the films read. This means that when their hospital doc does morning rounds, the films from last night have already been read and the results dictated rather than having to wait till noon to get them.

I bet those in hospital radiology (who used to get $8 or so per film interpreted and can bang a bunch of them out in an hour) never thought that they could be offshored.

5. Neutral Corner

I doubt that many people here got a high school diploma then went to work at the mill that employs half the town, put in twenty years, and then saw their job offshored. College educated and articulate people have a much better chance to make a career change, and are more likely to have the funds to move to where the jobs are.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The dirty little secret of course is that in the age of automation and offshoring there aren't enough decent-paying jobs to go around and even less political will to bring the bulk of jobs that are available up to decent pay.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

Why's it silly?

People waiting for the government to come along and change the direction of their lives are unlikely to succeed.

It's not how you handled your career change.

What would be the best case scenario for a well funded job training program targeting out of work coal miners in West Virginia, textile workers in North Carolina, or fishermen in Newfoundland?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And you underestimate how many scared shitless people of color there are.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Virtually all of us who went to college did so on government-subsidized loans and/or Pell Grants. Many of us went to state-owned and funded schools.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

It's not a question of people waiting for the government to change it. If you give someone a leg up toward doing better from now on, he can earn a decent living and take care of his family and pay taxes. Or you can say "fuck him, he shoulda picked a different career" and leave him to rot on unemployment, welfare, and with a shitty subsistence job at the Quik Mart.

11. YankeeFan

People used to actually come out of high school with an education, and should certainly be expected to be articulate.

Most of these programs teach skills that should be part of any high school education.

12. Dick Whitman

It's silly because the logical conclusion of your idea, and of all the "person responsibility" crowd, is that people are going to, en masse, develop "personal responsibility" and transition from working at the steel mill or the auto assembly line and become teachers, lawyers, coffee machine repairmen, and astrophysicists. They aren't. If they were, it would have happened in 2008. It's a public policy problem.

Anecdotes are not data. There are 300 million people in this country. You can cherry-pick an example of anything. It stands for next to nothing.

I don't know. It's a good question. But at a very high level, I prefer transitioning to a new economy over either casting people aside or forcing private industry to maintain obsolete jobs.

lcjjdnh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.