1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, sure. But what about all those plane crashes? Explain those.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Too bad the infrastructure across the country is so modern and strong, otherwise now, with money so inexpensive to borrow, would be a great time to put millions of displaced people to work on that.

3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

"Shovel Ready"

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Must resist ...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm all for government funded job training -- if it works. If it's a good return on investment.

All I want to know is if it does/is.

Dems propose feel good spending. It makes those proposing the program's feel good.

I'm not convinced that government even knows what skills they should be trying to teach. Can they predict what skills will be in demand in the region in the following years?

6. Dick Whitman

Who can, though? Can colleges? Can trade schools? They make educated guesses, but no entity knows for sure.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ben Sasse gets sassy.

8. YankeeFan

If only market forces drove people to learn applicable skills.

9. YankeeFan

Someone needs to step forward! (But not me.)

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

There is a lot of good opportunities making solar panels and lithium batteries.

11. Dick Whitman

In a static world with no externalities, transaction costs, etc., they would. They don't always, though. And this is the role of government - sanding off the rough edges of capitalism.

You need to develop a more flexible understanding of macroeconomics. As it is, you seem to reflexively balk at anything that sounds interventionist. That's fine as a core philosophy, but it becomes a hindrance.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The government will not teach. It will entice and enable local entities like businesses and community colleges to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.