1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That people have been brainwashed to believe that a balanced budget is a desirable thing is part of the problem.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's a long con to make us want Lena back.

doctorquant and YankeeFan like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's certainly not mandatory for a country to thrive. But you also never want to enter into the possibility of default.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pish posh, the teabags are happy to threaten national default on the debt ceiling again and again to extort budget cuts they can't get through the normal budget process.

5. BTExpress

I'm not talking about what POLITICIANS want (both sides want the country to fail if the other side is in charge, which in a nutshell is why America cannot, absolutely cannot "be great again."). How the fuck can you be great if half your people in Washington want the country to fail if it means they can take back control the next election cycle?

Most Democrats WANTED failure in Iraq. Most Repubicans WANT Obamacare to be a disaster. Neither failure is good for our nation.

I mean as a general rule, we the people do not want to entertain the possibility of default.

HanSenSE, BDC99, Batman and 2 others like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Democrats wanted failure in Iraq? He had a 50 percent approval rating from Democrats in April of 2003.

Presidential Approval Ratings -- George W. Bush

Meanwhile, after his first year, Obama never had more than 21 percent approval from the Republicans. Most of the time, the rating from them was in the teens, and sometimes in the single digits.

Presidential Approval Ratings -- Barack Obama

7. cranberry

Other than silly grandstanding by Tea Party clowns refusing to raise the debt ceiling as necessary, there has never been a moment when it was necessary to entertain the possibility of default.

8. BTExpress

And it was down to 16 percent only six months later. And things actually went OK for the first few months.

Oh, if China had taken Russia's suggestion and dumped bonds en masse in the fall of 2008 . . .

9. cranberry

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, once they started to question why so many soldiers were dying after Bush had already said the war was over.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There has never been a moment when my drinking threatened my long-term health. Doesn't mean I'd be just peachy if I made it a matter of personal policy to repeat New Year's Eve of 1983 on a day-in, day-out basis, though.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  12. BTExpress

What's silly is the notion that "raising the debt ceiling" is somehow a viable economic solution to chronic deficit spending. When the hell are we going to treat the ceiling for what it was intended to be --- a goddamn ceiling?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.