1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How about a Trump and Dick ticket?

Make America Grate Again!

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dick Whitman, performance artists, is just waiting for the podcast sugar daddy to take his act national.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"I'm gonna Trump that bitch and then slap her with my Dick!"

HanSenSE and Ace like this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The ratings for 'Dick Whitman: SJ.com Poster' must be in the tank. The writers have gotten desperate with this latest turn.

Lugnuts and TigerVols like this.
  5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I miss George W. Bush, a flawed but fundamentally decent human being with whom I disagreed on many, many things. Though I think he was taken advantage of by a lot of narcissistic shitheads, I truly believe he wanted to help people, and the country, as a part of his presidency. I'm sure there was some need for redemption because of his father's one term presidency, but ultimately, even though it was often bound too closely with his Christianity for my tastes, I think he wanted to make the world a better place. There was kindness and grace in the man's heart. I think he really cared about the men and women he put in harm's way. He did not take being president lightly. I've grown to think of him as a goofy uncle; I shake my head at some of his world views, but I have come to view him fondly. While I don't think he was a good president, he mostly made decisions I disagreed with for philosophical reasons. I don't think he did them to screw anyone over, or fluff up his ego, or because he cared all that much for power.

I actually feel the same way about Mitt Romney and John Boehner. We disagree on stuff. I think they're wrong about the role government should play, but that's ok. They'd probably think I'm naive. I respect that they care about public service, and want to make the world a better place.

Trump is truly sick individual. That someone can be this awful, and people like Rand Paul are still like "I'll support the nominee" makes me so sad. I don't think there is actually a chance he'll "be a tyrant" as Andrew Sullivan and other liberals are warning us. I think it's far more likely he'll be so disinterested in the actual job after a few months, he'll basically just embrace the celebrity aspects of it and ignore all the rest, forcing his aides to cover for the fact that he doesn't pay attention during security briefings, he doesn't know how the Constitution actually works and can't understand why he can't check out after 4 p.m. to screw around. There is a good chance we'll have a Cheney situation, where someone he picks has way more power than they should, and that's where you'll see all kinds of scandal.

I'm so weary of the false equivalency game. "Hillary will be just as bad! She's just as corrupt!" Oh bullshit. Hillary has basically the same politics as Boehner. She's basically the same person, just with more National Security and Foreign Affairs experience. She's been a moderate Republican pretty much her entire adult life. She's not an evil person; what you see from those emails is that she actually cares about her staff and actually has an awkward kindness to her. She'll absolutely do dumb shit, because again, it's the Clintons. They cannot resist putting their toe over the line. But at least they acknowledge the existence of lines. At least they aren't trying to build a golf course on the other side of the line where Putin is allowed to take three swings off the tee and murder his caddie with polonium-210 for giving him a bad yardage, and everyone has a good laugh about it.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A. Does this person (household) earn significantly more money than me (mine)?

2. This person (household) could afford to pay more in taxes.

There's a slightly different version that's a bit more in sync with the ethos of the day. It goes like this:

A. Does this person (household) earn significantly more money than me (mine)?

2. Does this person (or the head of this household) support an increase in the top marginal rate he/she will face?

III. No? What a greedy bastard/c**t!

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I blame the showrunner.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The $250,000 income line isn't arbitrary. It is (or was when the conversation started years ago) the point where 2 percent of American households qualify. That's a pretty clear and non-controversial definition of upper income. I would further add that since it's AGI we are talking about, that $250,000 "income" is probably somewhere between $300,000 and $400,000 once all relevant deductions are applied.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think there is at least a little uppity in all of us.

Some more than others...

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Too bad Bush was Hitler during his two terms. W IS a good man, but TINMHITTMAL, and all the "I miss Bush" hand-wringing is revisionist bullshit, and, frankly, just another way for the Left to justify its hate du jour.

old_tony and YankeeFan like this.
  11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

What's funny is a guy whose browser history would make a sailor blush is making character assessments.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I never hated Bush.

I hated Cheney.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.